Jefferson Hall, located on East Green, was built in 1956 and opened in 1958. It was used as a dining hall and residence hall that originally housed 379 female students.
Jefferson Hall was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson. A native of Shadwell, VA, he was educated at William and Mary College. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1767. He was in the Virginia House of Burgesses and a delegate to Continental Congress. He was govenor of VA, 1779-1781. The third President of the United States, he was the first one to be inaugurated in Washington D.C., serving from 1801-1809. He drew up the draft and signed the Declaration of Independence. He founded the University of Virginia and favored the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark Expedition.