Ohio University Observatory
Grid Map Square:
The Ohio University Observatory is sited at The Ridges on the hilltop between Konneker Research Laboratory and the water tower.
Astrophysical Institute faculty members sponsor programming at the observatory. It is used for both academic and recreational purposes, encouraging the learning and identification of constellations, planets, and other celestial bodies.
Ohio University acquired the Fecker telescope in 1950, and it was installed on the roof of the engineering building, which is now known as the Research and Technology Center, or RTEC. That telescope remained in operation until the early 21st century. With the opening of the new observatory in May 2017, the Fecker telescope returns to service to provide students and community members views of celestial wonders throughout the year.
The Ridges Green
The Ridges is on the hill across the Hocking River from the West Green. This part of the Athens Campus was previously the Athens Mental Health Center, a regional psychiatric hospital. Notable buildings on this green include Lin Hall, Kennedy Museum and Ridges Auditorium.