Grid Map Square:
The Steven L. Schoonover Center for Communication is located in the North Green, coordinates H-3 on the campus map. It is marked as #44 on the map.
The former Baker University Center was vacated at the end of 2006, when the new Baker University Center was occupied. Renovation of the building to LEED certification standards was completed with faculty and staff moving in at the end of 2013.
Baker University Center was completed in 1953. The Georgian Revival building contained six floors, with an eight-lane bowling center, game room, ballroom, 1804 Lounge, and 1954 Lounge. It also had a dining room and many administrative offices.
When the center was proposed in 1946, students agreed to an assessment of five dollars each semester to help fund the project. The faculty, impressed by the students dedication, agreed to the same levy.
Steven L. Schoonover
Steven L. Schoonover joined the Ohio University Foundation Board as a trustee in 2000 and became Secretary of the Board in 2006 and holds that position currently. Mr. Schoonover graduated from Ohio University, College of Fine Arts, with a BFA in 1967. As a student on campus he was a member of the Phi Theta Delta fraternity. In 1972 he received his JD from Creighton University. He started his professional career as a salesman for Owens – Illinois and, with many steps along the way, is now the President of Schoonover Investments LP. He does consulting work for CellXion, a company he founded in 1996, and is President and CEO of The Schoonover Foundation, serving along with other family members.
20 W. Union St., Athens, OH 45701 (Directions)
The North Green
North Green has one residence hall, Voigt Hall. Notable buildings on this green include Hudson Health Center, Glidden Hall, Hudson Health Center and Schoonover Center.