29 Park Place
Grid Map Square:
29 Park Place is located in the College Green and houses the Academic Engagement Center, coordinates H-5 on the campus map. It is marked as #21 on the map.
The Academic Engagement Center serves as a home to the Center for Campus and Community Engagement, the OHIO Honors Program, and signature academic engagement programs like the Cutler Scholars Program and the Ohio Fellows Program.
The building at 29 Park Place was the residence of Ohio University's presidents from 1952 to 2015.
Built in 1899, the home was built for Clinton L. Poston, a wealthy coal mine owner and business executive. During the early 1920's the mansion became the home of Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Biddle. Mrs. Biddle was the daughter of C.L. Poston. From 1923 to 1925 the Biddles extensively remodeled the home. Ohio University acquired the property in 1951 from Mrs. Biddle. After some redecorating of the garage apartment and house, President and Mrs. John C. Baker moved into the house in 1952. The mansion was redecorated again in 1960 and extensive remodeling was done in 1995 under the direction of Mrs. Rene Glidden. The beautiful staircase was refinished by the Glidden family. President and Mrs. Robert Glidden moved into the house when the remodeling was completed. President and Mrs. Roderick J. McDavis were the final First Couple to live at 29 Park Place.
29 Park Place, Athens, OH 45701 (Directions)
The College Green
College Green is the center of Ohio University. Notable buildings on this green include Cutler Hall, McGuffey Hall, Wilson Hall, Alden Library and Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.