Russ Research Opportunity Center
Grid Map Square:
The newly renovated Russ Research Opportunity Center (formerly West Union Street Office Center) is located on West Union Street, in the North West Corner, between coordinates E-1 and F-1 on the campus map. It is marked as #142 on the map. It is located just west of the new traffic circle on West Union. It is one of four stops on the route of the Campus Area Transportation Services Blue Route shuttle bus.
The Russ Research Opportunity Center is a collaborative research building that lives in the Russ College of Engineering and Technology and allows students and faculty to engage in research transparently and utilize dynamic spaces close to campus and to their home academic building, Stocker Center on West Green.
The 3 story building was built in 1920 for the McBee Systems Printing Service. In the 1950's, McBee Systems was purchased by Litton Industries and became known as McBee Litton Industries. Ohio University acquired the building in the 1970's and used it for the Purchasing, Payroll, Treasurer, and Budget offices. After those offices moved to Lindley Hall, the building was purchased by Harold Laughlin. In 1997, major renovations were made to the building, and it become known as the HDL Center.
In 2008, the building was purchased by Ohio University. It was renamed the West Union Street Office Center in 2011. The West Union Street Office Center used to house a number of government and commercial enterprises, including the Ohio Bureau of Employment Services, The Ohio Department of Motor Vehicles (Title Department and Drivers License Division), The Ohio Company, Peoples Bank, the Ohio Lottery Commission, and the Laughlin Vending Company.
160 W. Union St., Athens, OH 45701 (Directions)
The Union Green
Union Green is home of the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. Notable buildings on this green include the newly-constructed Heritage Hall.