Grid Map Square:
Ellis Hall is located in the College Green, coordinates H-4 on the campus map. It is marked as #6 on the map.
Ellis Hall houses the departments of Classics and Religious Studies, English, and Philosophy, and also the Institute for Applied and Professional Ethics. It holds classrooms, faculty offices, seminar rooms, and laboratories.
Renovations were completed to Ellis Hall in 2019; the building now features key sustainability efforts and accessibility upgrades.
Ellis Hall was started in 1902, and the wings were added in 1906 and 1908. It is one of Ohio University's oldest and largest classroom buildings and accommodated the new State Normal School. It was designed by noted midwest architect Frank L. Packard. Rows of rusticated brickwork form bands around the structure on the first and second stories. Quoining is a decorative feature at the corners. The original entry was replaced by the present portico in 1963.
Ellis Hall was the first building on campus paid for entirely by state appropriations. It was originally dedicated to the instruction of teachers and was the first structure to be named for a living president.
Ellis Hall was named in honor of Dr. Alston Ellis, 10th president of Ohio University, serving from 1901 until 1920. A native of Kentucky, he was educated at Washington and Lee and Miami Universities. He was a nationally recognized leader in public school education and administration.
45 University Terrace, Athens, OH 45701 (Directions)
The College Green
College Green is the center of Ohio University. Notable buildings on this green include Cutler Hall, McGuffey Hall, Wilson Hall, Alden Library and Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.