The Class Gateway is located in the College Green, at coordinates H-3 on the campus map. It is marked as # 11 on the map.
A gift of the class of 1949, the Class Gateway was built in 1960 on the site of a gateway donated by the Class of 1912. The thoughts of university co-founder Manasseh Cutler, as they were incorporated into the articles of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, are inscribed on the stone between the two entrances. Cutler believed that federal guarantees of support to religion and education were necessary for the settlement to succeed.
The plaque reads:
Religion morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.
A bronze replica of the Great Seal of Ohio is embedded in the brick terrace in front of the gate.