Clippinger Laboratories is located in the South Green, at coordinates H-6 on the campus map. It is marked as # 81 on the map.
Clippinger Laboratories houses the departments of Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geography, and Geological Science. It is used for research and undergraduate teaching, including both classrooms and laboratories.
History of Building
The new Science and Engineering Campus, as it was originally named, was dedicated in July of 1965. In 1966 the university's computer center was established in the building, although it has since been relocated, and in 1967 Clippinger Graduate Research Laboratories and the nearby Edwards Accelerator Laboratory were opened. Renovations completed in 1989 brought the Department of Chemistry's teaching labs into the building.
Donald R. Clippinger
Clippinger Laboratory was named in honor of the late Donald R. Clippinger. He was educated at Otterbein College and Ohio State University. A professor of chemistry here at Ohio University, he was a secretary and editor of the Midwest Conference on Graduate Study and Research. He was Dean of the Graduate College for more than a decade, starting in 1952.