School of Art + Design BFA Degree and Concentration Area Application
[NOTE: This application is for currently enrolled Ohio University students only.]
How and When to Apply
Currently enrolled students can declare B.F.A. degree areas and degree concentration areas in the School of Art + Design in the fall and spring semesters during open application speriods.
Application Form and Deadlines
February 16–March 8
September 10–October 10
School of Art + Design
BFA Application Checklist
[PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING YOUR APPLICATION]
NOTE: This form is for currently enrolled Ohio University students to apply to one of the following BFA degrees or concentration areas including the BFA in Graphic Design, BFA in Interior Architecture or the BFA in Studio Art (with identified concentration area).
[PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING YOUR APPLICATION]
BFA Application Checklist: (see tips & guidelines)
- Document 5-10 of your best original works in any media. All submitted materials should represent your best original work. You may submit a limited number of works-in-progress to illustrate your current research interests. Please limit these works-in-progress to no more than 2 pieces within your portfolio. (See tips & guidelines above for instructions for photographing your work and preparing your materials.)
- Documentation must include the following information: artist name, title, media, date, and the dimensions of your artwork.
- Assemble your images and labeling information into a portfolio. Your portfolio should be submitted in the application form as a single PDF document. Use the provided Microsoft Word template to create your portfolio. Once completed, covert the file into a PDF.
- Upload and organize your 5-10 original artworks images. For videos or other time-based or interactive documentation, provide a hyperlink in place of an image.
- Add the labeling information above each image or video link (artist name, title, media, date of creation, and dimensions of the artwork.)
- lease rename the portfolio template with your name and the current date.
- Please note: only one single file can be uploaded to this form, so please prepare your documentation accordingly.
- Alternatively, documentation of artwork can be submitted by providing a link to a personal website.
- After completing the application form, you will be prompted to upload the PDF or linked documentation.
- Notification of results will be sent to your student email address (ohio.edu) within approximately 2 - 3 weeks of the deadline.
Questions about application form and process:
Email Melissa Riddle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Will I get a studio if I am accepted into BFA Studio?
There are only a small number of studio spaces available for undergraduate use. Only students who have been accepted into a Concentration Area are eligible for studio space, and each Area has a different process for determining which students will have access to the limited studio spaces.
2. What if my application is denied? Can I re-apply?
Yes. Applications are accepted both Fall and Spring terms. Discuss with your success advisor and/or your mentor what steps are needed prior to re-application. For example, if your application was denied because of a GPA deficiency, your success advisor can suggest which course(s) should be re-taken to most efficiently raise your GPA.
3. Can I appeal the decision?
Yes. If you feel you have been unjustly denied entry to a BFA program, you may submit a written statement to the Director of the School of Art outlining the situation.
4. I am applying to change my major. Do I need to do anything else other than fill out the above BFA Application?
Any student switching majors will need to complete the Application for Update of Academic Program form here:
A selection of guidelines and tutorials to assist students in the creation of PDF portfolios, slideshows, and artwork documentation tips.
Artwork Documentation Tips
How to Create a PDF Portfolio
Generating a PDF from Multiple Files in Acrobat:
- Make sure that you have all of your individual image files ready to go prior to creating your portfolio. Helpful Suggestion: You can store your images in a dedicated folder to make the process easier.
- 5-10 images of your artwork (JPG)
- Edit, crop, and touchup your images using Photoshop or Pixlr
- Prepare the labeling information for each image
- Artist Name
- Dimensions: Height x Width x Depth (Depth is only needed for 3D work)
- Open up the BFA application_Last Name_First Name_date word document.
- Place the cursor/insertion point (flashing vertical line where text appears) in between the image labeling text
- Click on the insert tab at the top of the screen
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to the pictures option
- Choose picture from file and select the image you would like to add to the document
- Continue adding all of your images or hyperlinks to videos
- Add the image/video labeling information to the document
- Save and rename the file with your name and the current date
- Covert the file into a PDF using the Save As option.