Graduate Student Orientation
Ohio University has developed the following orientation sessions to assist you with your transition as a graduate student.
Online Graduate Student Orientation (GSO) Module
The Graduate College has developed an online orientation for all graduate students. Once available complete this orientation anytime, anywhere!
- Admitted for fall term? Materials will be available on August 1, 8 AM EDT.
- Admitted for spring term? Materials will be available on December 1, 8 AM EST.
- Admitted for summer term? Materials will be available on March 15, 8 AM EDT.
How to Access the GSO Module
- Activate your OHIO ID/OHIO Email
- A student OHIO ID is ordinarily the initials of your first and last names plus six digits and "@ohio.edu".
- (Note: "OHIO ID," "Catmail," and "OHIO email" may be used interchangeably.)
- If you have not yet done so, activate your OHIO ID/OHIO email and create a password online at https://account.ohio.edu. You will need your personal identification number (PID) and birth date to complete this activation.
- Sign into Blackboard
Sign in to Blackboard using your OHIO Email Address and password.
(Note to all Ohio University faculty or staff members who have been admitted to a graduate program: Please sign in using your student OHIO Email).
Enter your email address (OHIO ID) and click the blue "Next" box.
Enter your password and click the blue "Sign in" box.
- Click on "Agree & Continue" to proceed into Blackboard.
- Find GSO content
- Once in Blackboard, select "Organizations" in the left menu.
- Open online content
- Choose Graduate Student Orientation from within "Organizations" to begin the module.
Still have questions about GSO? Email email@example.com.
Hazing Prevention Training
All graduate students must complete this training. This course introduces the concept of hazing, why it is illegal, and what OHIO University students, faculty, and staff can do to stop hazing from occurring on our campuses. For more information, visit the Hazing Prevention website.
Be sure to check with your academic program regarding any additional orientation activities/events.
New Hire Paperwork (for those hired as a GA, GRS, RA, or TA)
All NEW graduate students will need to complete an I-9 and new hire employment paperwork.
All employment paperwork must be completed no later than your first day of employment or you will not be eligible to begin working.
In-person Graduate Student Orientation (GSO) Fall 2022
The Graduate College hosts an in-person orientation for all Athens-based students before classes begin in August. Come meet continuing graduate students, learn about the Ohio University and Athens communities, and meet other incoming graduate students.
These sessions are scheduled for Thursday, August 18, 2022, in the Baker University Center Ballroom at the following times:
- 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM EDT
- for graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate College, and Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Service
- 11 AM – 1 PM EDT
- for graduate students in the Center for International Studies, College of Fine Arts, Russ College of Engineering and Technology, and Scripps College of Communication
- 1:30 – 3:30 PM EDT for graduate students in the
- College of Health Sciences and Professions, College of Business, and Patton College of Education
In-person Teaching Assistant Orientation (TAO) Fall 2022
The Graduate College hosts an in-person orientation for all new graduate students with a TA assignment. Join us for critical information regarding this important role. The TAO will outline TA expectations, describe FERPA rules, explain a TA’s role in duty to report, and offer insights into the OHIO undergraduates (students TAs may be teaching).
The TAO is scheduled for Thursday, August 18, 2022, from 4 PM – 6 PM EDT in the Baker University Center Ballroom.