Graduate Financial Aid
Opportunities for Graduate Theater Students
Graduate students are eligible for talent-based awards, including tuition waivers and graduate stipends, as well as graduate assistantships. Graduate appointments are awarded by programs and departments, providing a stipend for service and generally include a tuition scholarship. Stipend and scholarship amounts vary by program.
- Tuition waivers are available— each program head determines need and priority. If a student is awarded tuition waiver only, some university fees will apply.
- Graduate stipends are determined within each M.F.A. program based on merit, assuming the student holds an undergraduate degree and a 3.0 GPA. Stipends may be awarded in amounts of full or half stipend. Stipends are continued each semester based on merit. Many (but not all) of our graduate students are awarded some kind of financial aid package. The type of package dictates how many work hours are required per week.
Below are the types of aid packages by semester in the School of Theater:
(stipend levels reflect academic year 2021-2022)
- Full Stipend $5,618 and Full Tuition Waiver $4,094, requires approximately 15-20 hours/week
- Half Stipend $2,809 and Full Tuition Waiver $4,094, requires approximately 8-10 hours/week
- Half Stipend $2,809 and Half Tuition Waiver $2,047, requires approximately 8 hours/week
- Tuition waiver only: (no stipend) $3,194, requires approximately 6 hours/week
- Full Tuition Waiver ONLY = $900 stipend, no work requirement
Explore further details about graduate funding on the Graduate College site.