Office of Faculty Learning and Advancement
To optimize educators’ learning so they can better serve the community.
Who We Are
The Office of Faculty Learning, Development and Scholarship offers a variety of services to support all faculty in their pursuit of excellence in learning and teaching. Our goal is to help faculty focus on developing innovative approaches to learning within the rapidly changing health care landscape.
We serve both academic and adjunct clinical faculty. If you are an academic faculty member (also includes adjunct academic faculty teaching in Athens, Cleveland or Dublin campus), click "Academic Faculty." If you are an adjunct clinical faculty member (community preceptors that teach our medical students in the clinical settings), click "Adjunct Clinical Faculty."
ADJUNCT CLINICAL FACULTY
New teaching resources:
- A guide to using Bloom’s Taxonomy for Writing Learning Objectives, Critical Thinking Questions and Multiple-Choice Questions. Click here to view and download.
- Testing Knowledge: Checklist for Writing Effective Multiple-Choice Questions. Click here to view and download.
- Disease Concept Map: A Teaching and Learning Tool for Medical Curriculum. Click here to view and download.
- Instructional Decision Model: A Road Map for Effective and Efficient Teaching. Click here to view and download
Summer Instructional Decision Academy - Tuesday, July 6, 2021, to Tuesday, August 3, 2021.
Are you interested in joining the Instructional Decision Academy?
The main goal of the academy is to empower faculty to make the best instructional decisions based on evidence-based best practices in curriculum, instruction and assessment with a peer-to-peer and mentoring approach.
Benefits of joining the academy:
- Opportunity to publish a peer-reviewed team-based learning module in the Team-Based Learning Collaborative on a topic of your choice.
- Receive one-on-one constructive feedback on your TBL module from a certified TBL trainer.
- Get insights in writing and evaluating learning objectives and assessment Items.
- Registration is FREE
Registration is limited to a maximum of seven faculty members. Click here to register for the academy.
Last Date for the Registration: Wednesday June 30, 2021.
Synchronized Online Sessions Meeting Time: Tuesdays 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Questions about the academy may be directed to Briju Thankachan, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Free access to DocCom modules
For 2021 only – The Heritage College is a DocCom Curriculum Challenge Winner, which means a full year of free access to DocCom modules that address a range of communication and relationship-centered topics, ranging from core interviewing skills to advanced competencies.
Free access to TeachingPhysician.org
For 2021-2022 – Adjunct clinical faculty members have free access to TeachingPhysician.org, a comprehensive web-based resource that connects medical schools and residency programs to community preceptors. It provides point-of-need instruction for preceptors in the form of videos, tips, answers to frequently asked questions and links to in-depth information on precepting topics.
If you have a general question, you can send an email to HCOM-FacultyLearning@ohio.edu. A resource person will respond within one to three business days.
Olivia Ojano-Sheehan, Ph.D., Senior Director, Clinical Learning Environment Development
- Clinical Teaching
- Administration, Management, Leadership
- ACE, ACE-OPP, AHLM
- Clinical Divisions
Briju Thankachan, Ph.D., Director, Curriculum and Assessment Design and Improvement
- Team-Based Learning
- Instructional Design (Learning Objectives, Strategies and Assessment)
- Online and Hybrid Course Design
- Technology Integration
Click here to view the Office of Faculty Learning, Development and Scholarship strategic plan.
Last Updated: 06/02/21