Office of Faculty Learning, Development and Scholarship
To optimize educators’ learning so they can better serve the community.
Who We Are
The Office of Faculty Learning, Development and Scholarship offers a variety of services to support all faculty in their pursuit of excellence in learning and teaching. Our goal is to help faculty focus on developing innovative approaches to learning within the rapidly changing health care landscape.
We serve both academic and adjunct clinical faculty. If you are an academic faculty (also include adjunct academic faculty teaching in Athens, Cleveland or Dublin campus) member, click ‘Academic Faculty’ or if you are an adjunct clinical faculty (community preceptors that teach our medical students in the clinical settings) click ‘Adjunct Clinical Faculty’.
ADJUNCT CLINICAL FACULTY
ONLINE TEACHING RESOURCES
LECTURE CAPTURE: PANOPTO
Panopto is a cloud-based application for recording lectures, presentations, or events for later replay by students or colleagues.
- Recording a demonstration or lecture in class.
- Creating a PowerPoint presentation with voice-over and interactive playback.
- Recording student presentations.
- Hosting videos that have access restrictions.
Help and Resources
STUDENT RESPONSE SYSTEM: TOP HAT
Top Hat is a student response system that utilizes students' personal devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) combined with interactive slides to facilitate classroom discussions, track attendance, and conduct real time polls or quizzes.
- In-class polling.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Attendance tracking.
Help and Resources
REMOTE MEETINGS: MICROSOFT TEAMS
Microsoft Team is a powerful team-based collaboration tool that provides group chat, channeled conversations, instant messaging, live document collaboration, audio or video calls, and meetings (from one-on-ones to fully-featured audio/video conferences).
How to Access
Desktop and mobile
For the best experience, we recommend using the Teams apps:
- Download the Teams app (opens in a new window) for Windows or Mac.
- Mobile apps are available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 10 from their respective app stores
On the web
- teams.ohio.edu (opens in a new window) (Use your full OHIO email address as your username)
Help and Resource
For more information visit:
Office of Information and Learning Technologies
Office of Information Technology
New teaching resources:
- A guide to using Bloom’s Taxonomy for writing Learning Objectives (LO), Critical Thinking Questions (CTQ) and Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ). Click here to view and download.
- Disease Concept Map: A Teaching and Learning tool for Medical Curriculum. Click here to view and download.
- Instructional Decision Model (IDM): A Road Map for Effective and Efficient Teaching. Click here to view and download
"Building Better Clinical Training Experiences: A Learning Collaborative”
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine Selected for National Pilot Project to Address Training Needs of Medical Students Project seeks to reduce administrative burden and recognize physicians. Click here for more info.
If you have a general question, you can send an email to HCOM-FacultyLearning@ohio.edu. A resource person will respond within one to three business days.
Rich Latham, BS, Director, Experiential Learning
- Clinical Simulation
- Experiential Learning
- CTAC Operations
- Immersive Learning
Olivia Ojano-Sheehan, PhD, Senior Director, Clinical Learning Environment Development
- Clinical Teaching
- Administration, Management, Leadership
- ACE, ACE-OPP, AHLM
- Clinical Divisions
Briju Thankachan, PhD, Director, Curriculum and Assessment Design and Improvement
- Team-Based Learning
- Instructional Design (Learning Objectives, Strategies and Assessment)
- Online and Hybrid Course Design
- Technology Integration
Click here to view the Office of Faculty Learning, Development and Scholarship (OFLDS) strategic plan.
Last Updated: 12/13/19
June 14, 2019More than 100 people took part June 12 in the third annual International Symposium on Growth Hormone and Metabolism at the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. The gathering brought together experts to discuss new research on growth hormone (GH).Read More
Open house event to highlight Heritage College researchMarch 28, 2018The Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine will host a Research, Exploration and Discovery Day and Open House on Wednesday, April 4, to give the OHIO community a chance to learn more about work being done by researchers at the medical school, as well as opportunities for collaboration.Read More
Heritage College takes research to the next level with $17 million endowed research strategyAugust 9, 2016The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine has developed a $17 million research endowment strategy designed to expand and strengthen the college’s research platform. The endowment strategy includes funding for three named endowed chairs, as well as a named endowment for professorships and fellowships.Read More