The School of Music is committed to developing confident, creative, and skilled professional musicians. Undergraduate and graduate students are prepared for careers in music education, performance, music therapy, composition, musicology, and music theory. The School of Music provides opportunities for students of all majors to enhance their musical knowledge and skill through participation in a wide variety of academic courses, performance studies, university ensembles, and field experiences. It enriches the cultural life of the university and the surrounding region through public performances and educational outreach by its students, faculty, and guest artists. As a vital part of the College of Fine Arts, the School of Music promotes the musical arts within the university, regional, national, and international communities.
History of the School of Music
The Ohio University School of Music has been officially in existence since 1917, although some of the individual programs date back to the 1880s. As early as 1883 Ohio University offered piano lessons, however such lessons were considered an extracurricular activity. In 1889 the University established a Department of Vocal Music under Eva Norris within the College of Arts and Sciences. In 1892 the music program expanded to include instrumental as well as vocal music. In 1917 the Department of Vocal and Instrumental Music became the School of Music with Alexander S. Thompson as Director. In 1936 the departments of music, dramatic art, and art combined and became the College of Fine Arts.
The Ohio University School of Music is committed to a continuing tradition of excellence and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.