Ohio University Honor Band, Orchestra & Choir Festival
The Honor Band, Orchestra, and Choir Festival combines voice and instrument in bringing together the best high school musicians and professional music faculty over one weekend, December 1-3 in Athens, Ohio.
Please join us on the beautiful campus of Ohio University for an inspiring three days of music making with the acclaimed conducting, woodwind, brass, percussion, string and voice faculty in the School of Music. Students selected for the Honor Band, Orchestra, and Choir Festival will have the opportunity to advance their musical, technical, and creative skills in large ensemble settings, as well as participate in master classes and special performances with our faculty.
The festival kicks off with "Band-O-Rama!" a special concert by the Ohio University Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, University Band, and Marching 110, and it also features performances by the OU Jazz Ensemble I, a combined performance of the Festival Orchestra and the OU Symphony Orchestra, and a combined performance by the Ohio University Singers and Festival Choir.
This year the festival will return to its overnight format, but with some format changes due to the continued presence COVID-19.
NOTE: The nomination process is already complete for this year's event. All student nominees will have already received an email communication, and the necessary registration form and fee payment link is below.
Registration & Fees
The festival fee is $50, collected upon acceptance into the Honor Band/Orchestra/Choir.
For those student nominees selected for participation, please register here.
Be sure to pay your participation fee of $50 by November 25.
Lodging and Transportation
Band/Orchestra/Choir directors will be responsible for making housing and transportation arrangements for this year’s event. Directors and participants will be provided with a list of hotels that will offer a special discounted rate for festival participants.
(subject to change)
Thursday, December 1, 2022
|5:30–7:00 PM||Student check-in (students receive ensemble assignments at check-in)|
|7:15 PM||Pre-Concert Introductory Meeting|
|8:00 PM||*BAND-O-RAMA! with the Ohio University Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, University Band, and Marching 110 at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. This event is free – no ticket is needed.
(concert will be livestreamed)
Friday, December 2, 2022
|8:00–8:45 AM||Late arrival registration/check in
• Bands/Orchestra: Memorial Auditorium
|9:00 AM–12 PM||
Festival Wind Symphony @ Memorial Auditorium
• Festival Symphonic Band @ Glidden 101
|12:15–1:30 PM||Lunch on your own (uptown Athens area or Baker Center offers many dining Options)|
|2:00–3:00 PM||Master Classes with Applied Faculty|
• Festival Wind Symphony @ Memorial Auditorium
• Festival Wind Symphony @ Glidden 101
|9:15–10:30 PM||Jazz I Performance @ Glidden Recital Hall|
|10:30 PM||Post-concert reception for Honor Ensemble participants|
Saturday, December 3, 2022
|9:30 AM-12 PM||
• Festival Wind Symphony @ Glidden 101
|12:00-1:15 PM||Lunch on your own (the uptown area offers many dining options) & change into
concert dress in the designated rooms on the fourth floor of Glidden Hall
|1:30-3:00 PM||Dress Rehearsal for both bands at Memorial Auditorium (in concert dress)
Dress Rehearsal for Honor Choir at First United Methodist Church
|4:00 PM||HONOR BANDS FESTIVAL CONCERT
Festival Symphonic Band and Festival Wind Symphony
|5:30PM||OU SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA CONCERT WITH HONOR ORCHESTRA PARTICIPANTS|
|8:00PM||HONOR CHOIR FESTIVAL CONCERT with OHIO University Singers & Choral Union|
Festival Application/Audition Process
Please note: nomination deadlines have passed for this year's event. The following information is for a fuller understanding of the process.
1. Instrumental Directors may nominate up to 8 students for participation in the Honor Band and/or Honor Orchestra*. Choral Directors may nominate balanced quartets (SATB) for the Honor Choir. (Please list students in order of ability, regardless of instrument, and list prior playing experience, i.e., past OU Honor Band, Region, State Honor Bands, etc.). Students may be nominated using the online form.
2. Participants will be selected from the nominated students. At least two students from every school will be selected, and other students will be selected based on rank order and other information submitted by band directors. Directors may nominate students by filling out the online audition form. Directors, please be sure that the students you nominate are available for the dates of clinic and that they want to participate.
3. Nominated student participants were notified of their status on November 4th and will be sent ensemble/chair placement audition material via email.
4. Participants arrive on campus on December 1. Band and Orchestra participants will receive chair and ensemble placement results.
*The Honor Orchestra is limited to string players for this year.
Additional Information and Questions
Please don't hesitate to contact us directly regarding the Festival:
Ohio University Honor Band Festival
℅ Dr. William Talley, Director of Bands
School of Music
497B Robert Glidden Hall
Athens, Ohio 45701
Ohio University Honor Choir Festival
c/o Dr. Bradley Naylor, Director of Choirs
School of Music
446 Robert Glidden Hall
Athens, OH 45701