Green Tag Equipment
Guidelines for handling University owned (green tag) equipment is described below. Note that all equipment is subject to University Policy 19.054: Equipment Inventory Control.
Questions about the procedures detailed below, as well as all forms, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the Equipment Inventory Quick Reference Guide for assistance in pulling your organizations inventory listing.
Receipt of New Equipment
- When received directly in the using department from the supplier, the Equipment Inventory Office will locate and tag the equipment.
- Equipment received as gifts through the Ohio University Foundation (OUF) are to be tagged with the assistance of the recipient's department contact. The necessary information required for the inventory records will be determined by OUF and the department. If your department has received gifts that are not on your inventory listing please notify Equipment Inventory. Gifts have the same criteria for tagging as any equipment purchased. It is important they are recorded in the financial year they were received.
Tagging of New Equipment
The tag number assigned to a piece of equipment serves as the central mechanism for establishing a unit record in the inventory control system. Each record must contain the following information on the item:
- Person to whom the equipment is assigned
- Description of equipment
- Serial or manufacturer identification number
- Original cost
- Purchase order number (if applicable)
- Acquisition date
- Disposition date
- Department to which equipment is assigned
- Location (building and room number)
Changes in Status of Equipment, Maintenance, and Disposition
Changes in the status of equipment must be reported to Finance by the department that is accountable for the equipment. The Equipment Status Change form (Excel) should be used for this purpose. Status changes are to be reported as they occur and will be reported to sponsor agencies as needed. Examples of status changes include:
- Scrapped (i.e., sent to Campus Recycling)
- Traded in
- Returned to vendor
- Transferred to another department or responsible person
- Relocated to a different room or building
All equipment that is considered surplus is to be disposed of by contacting Moving and Surplus.
Equipment owned by the University may be removed from campus only with the permission of the department head. Equipment taken off-campus must be under the supervision of an employee of the University. A Request to take Equipment Off-Campus form (Excel) must be filled out and a copy sent to the Equipment Inventory Office prior to taking equipment off campus, and again when the equipment is returned.
Every two years, the Equipment Inventory Office will e-mail each department contact advising on the process for auditing equipment. This will occur as soon as possible after March 31 or September 30. The list is to be verified by the department and all corrections reported to the Equipment Inventory Office on an Equipment Status Change form. The certification accompanying the e-mail must be signed by the department head and returned with the list of changes.
Please see Biennial Certification for more information.
Every quarter, the Equipment Inventory Office will e-mail each department contact. This email will include instructions to do a quarterly check of the departments equipment. No documents need returned during this review. The Quarterly Inventory review is strictly a reminder to review the departments Equipment Inventory.
Equipment inventories will be periodically audited by both State auditors and University accounting personnel. Therefore, it is imperative that all transactions affecting movable equipment be properly recorded.
Terminated Employee assigned equipment
When a employee leaves the university and are assigned assets the Equipment Inventory office needs to be notified. Please use the Equipment Inventory dashboard in OBIEE to determine if a employee had assets assigned to them. Please send the equipment inventory office a completed Equipment Status Change form with the new contact if necessary, see instructions above.
Please see snippit below for pulling terminate employee listing. If the highlighted area is marked "Y" only assets assigned to terminated employees will show after hitting "Apply"