Student Fee Committee
As part of our annual budget process, planning units can request new fees or adjustments to existing fees falling into three categories:
- Academic course-related fees
- Broad-based fees
- User fees, charges, and fines
All fees and changes to established fees must be approved by the Ohio University Board of Trustees.
The memo for proposal submissions for FY2024 is here.
Course and Technology Fee Freeze
We will continue freezing course and tech fees for those phased out under the Athens and RHE Guarantee Tuition Programs.
The State of Ohio restricts the creation of new fees and requires all proposed fees be reviewed and approved by the Chancellor of the Department of Higher Education prior to assessment. In addition, current fee increases are restricted by H.B. 166 with limited exception, as detailed below:
- Student Health Insurance Fees
- Fees for auxiliary goods or services provided to students at the cost incurred to the institution
- Fees assessed to students as a pass-through for licensure and certification examinations
- Elective course fees associated with travel experiences
- Elective charges
- Fees that offset the cost of providing textbooks for students
Given these restrictions, proposals should be limited to the following Course fee requests:
- Exempted Athens UG course fees that will continue in the future (travel programs, flight fees, and pass-through certification fees) that clearly meet one of the state-mandated exceptions listed above
- Exempted RHE course and program fees that will continue in the future (travel programs, Equine Program fees, and pass-through certification fees) that clearly meet one of the state-mandated exceptions listed above
- Graduate Course Fees
Fee Proposal Guidelines
The Student Fee Guidelines and Procedures were prepared to help units/departments determine the category of fees and to provide an understanding of the review/approval process.
Changes associated with Student Fees should use the Student Fee Proposal form. These requests are reviewed by Budget Planning and Analysis which makes recommendations to the Executive Budget Group for consideration. Those approved are submitted to the Ohio University Board of Trustees for final approval.
Changes associated with Course Fees should use the Course Fee Proposal form. These requests are reviewed by the Associate Provost for Academic Budget and Planning and the Provost who make a recommendation to the Executive Budget Group for consideration. Those approved are submitted to the Ohio University Board of Trustees for final approval.