Student Fee Committee
As part of our annual budget process, it is time for planning units to:
- Review existing student fee assessments
- Request fee adjustments (increases, decreases, or eliminations—see important notice)
- Request new fees for FY 2022 (noting restrictions)
This process is closely tied to budget development activities and supports the work of the President's Council. The fees are presented to the Board of Trustees for approval to be effective Fall Semester 2021.
Important Notice — Course and Technology Fee Freeze
1. We will continue freezing course and tech fees for those phased out under the Athens and RHE Guarantee Tuition Programs.
Note: FY22 represents the 7th year of the Athens Guarantee and the 4th year of the RHE Guarantee.
2. The State of Ohio restricts the creation of new fees and requires all proposed fees be reviewed and approved by the Chancellor of Higher Education prior to assessment. In addition, current fee increases are restricted by H.B. 166 with limited exception, as detailed below:
- Student Health Insurance Fees
- Fees for auxiliary goods or services provided to students at the cost incurred to the institution
- Fees assessed to students as a pass-through for licensure and certification examinations
- Elective course fees associated with travel experiences
- Elective charges
- Fees that offset the cost of providing textbooks for students
While the FY 22-23 State Operating Budget has not been introduced with the potential to change the current fee cap, for FY22 planning purposes Ohio University is accepting the following student fee requests:
- Exempted Athens UG course fees that will continue in the future (travel programs, flight fees, and pass-through certification fees) that clearly meet one of the state-mandated exceptions listed above
- Fees that provide an articulated benefit to the student and do not discourage students from enrolling
- Exempted RHE course and program fees that will continue in the future (travel programs, Equine Program fees, and pass-through certification fees) that clearly meet one of the state-mandated exceptions listed above
- Graduate Student Fees
Parameters for Requests of New or Increased Student Fees
Consistent with Ohio Legislature’s historical intent to limit student fee increases, Ohio University is only accepting undergraduate student fee requests for Academic Year 2021-22 that clearly meet at least one of the State of Ohio’s list of allowable exceptions. Since all UG fee increases are subject to the review and approval of the Ohio Department of Higher Education, we recommend that departments and planning units: (1) limit student fee requests when possible; and (2) do not rely upon increased revenue from the new fees as part of their FY22 budget.
Review of Current Student Fees
To review the listing of current student course fees for your unit/department/school, this information can be found on the Tuition and Fees page of the Registrar’s website. Please note that this is a listing of the current course fees and does not include all of the fees that the Student Fee Committee reviews. Please review the Student Fee Guidelines to see the matrix of fees that are reviewed/approved and the reviewing body.
Please review the listing to make sure all fees are correct and represent all of the course-related fees students are currently being charged by the college.
All fees are to be collected by the Bursar. Please communicate all account code corrections to Sherry Rossiter, Bursar.
NOTE: Colleges and Departments are not authorized to assess fees, and the Bursar may not collect any fee that is not officially approved and communicated in accordance with the Student Fee Guidelines. Units will need to complete a Student Fee Request form (Excel) for any student fee currently charged that is not reflected on the list of approved fees. (See guidance below)
Student Fee Guidelines
The Student Fee Guidelines and Procedures were prepared to help units/departments determine the category of fees and to provide an understanding of the review/approval process. Please refer to the matrix at the end of the guidelines for assistance.
Note: The Planning Unit Head is expected to review all fees that a unit charges. Planning Unit Heads can approve optional, voluntary fees/charges that are not course specific but add to the student experience. Planning Unit Heads must provide a listing of these voluntary, non-course specific fees to the Bursar by February 15, 2021.
Request Submission Form
The attached form requests general information about the fees departments/schools/colleges currently charge or propose to charge and the activities these additional fees would fund. Units are also asked to provide information regarding the departmental income they anticipate from the fee. Additional detail is required regarding salaries paid from the fee revenue as well as summary information by historical natural account grouping for other expenditures.
The Student Fee Committee (a sub-committee of the Budget Planning Council) will review the fee proposals and make a recommendation to the President's Council (and ultimately the Board of Trustees). The fees are presented at the April 2021 Board of Trustees Meeting for final approval. The Budget Office will inform the CFAOs of the decision after the final vote of the Board of Trustees.
What: Student Fee Proposal
When: Monday, February 15, 2021
Who: Zachary Reichard (email@example.com)
*Special Note: If you plan to submit a hard copy fee proposal, please follow up with Zach to ensure the form is received.
NOTE: Requests from Regional Campuses should be submitted by Friday, February 12, 2021 to Rosanna Howard, (.
Please do not hesitate to contact Sherry Rossiter (), Debra Benton () or Katie Hensel () with any questions or concerns.