When can I change?
Each year employees have the opportunity to make changes to their benefit plans during the annual open enrollment period held in the Spring. Otherwise changes may only be made if an employee experiences a qualified family status change such as:
- birth/ legal custody/ adoption of a child
- death of a covered dependent
- change in employment status (for employee, spouse, domestic partner or employee's dependent that affects eligibility for health insurance benefits)
- change of insurance coverage of a covered dependent
- beginning or ending of employee's domestic partnership
- change in a dependent's student status (e.g., due to age or withdrawal from college)
The Benefits Office must be notified within 31 days of the qualified life event. Qualified Life Event changes are subject to change according to state and federal laws and regulations. The change in coverage must coincide with the qualified life event. View the Life Event Grid [PDF] for further details.