Search within:

How to Retire

Those considering retirement from Ohio University should meet with their provider (OPERS, STRS or ARP) well in advance of their prospective retirement date. It is recommended that you apply at least two months prior to your retirement effective date.

The Retirement Separation form [PDF] should be completed and submitted to Human Resources and a copy provided to the supervisor/department. Employees should also complete the Sick Leave Conversion Statement [PDF]; the Payroll Office will automatically forward this form to you closer to your retirement date.

Health care

If eligible, health care may be provided through your state retirement system. Health care is not available to Alternative Retirement Plan participants.

Supplemental Retirement Accounts

If you contributed to a 403(b) and/or a 457 retirement account while employed with Ohio University contact your supplemental plan provider for details on accessing your account.

Life Insurance

Coverage through the University discontinues at retirement. Information will be sent from your life insurance company with information about converting your life insurance into an individual policy. Premiums are determined by your life insurance company and coverage is based on their approval. OPERS and STRS may also provide a death benefit which is based on a retiree's years of service credit.

Educational Benefits

Retired employees and their qualified dependents remain eligible for the University’s Educational Benefits. This currently includes benefits for Hocking College for the retiree. This benefit is subject to change by policy.

Email Account

As a retiree of Ohio University you may keep your university email account.


Retirees may convert their permit to a "retiree" hangtag. There is a cost associated with this permit.

Library Privileges

If interested in using Library Materials, inform the customer service desk at the library that you are a retired employee, this may be something that you have to update annually.


Retirees of Ohio University are eligible to remain or become members of WellWorks.