Accessing Providers Internationally
Visit the BlueCross BlueShield Global login, and follow the onscreen instructions.
NOTE: for international claims the provider must be paid up front and the claim sent in for reimbursement.
BlueCross BlueShield Global Member Instructions
To obtain medical assistance services:
- Always carry your Blue member identification card.
- In an emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital. If hospitalized, call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 800-810-BLUE or collect at 1-804-673-1177 to arrange cashless access.
- If you need to locate a doctor or hospital, or need medical assistance services, call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 800-810-BLUE or collect at 1-804-673-1177, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. An assistance coordinator in conjunction with a medical professional will arrange a physician appointment or hospitalization, if necessary.
- Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1-800-810-2583 or collect at 1-804-673-1177 when you need inpatient care. In most cases, you will not need to pay upfront for inpatient care at BlueCard Worldwide hospitals or providers except for out-of-pocket expenses (non-covered services, deductible, copayment and coinsurance) you normally pay. The hospital or provider should submit the claim on your behalf. In addition to contacting the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center, call your Blue Plan for pre-certification or preauthorization. Refer to the phone number on the back of your Blue ID card.
- For non-emergency medical care, call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1-800-810-2583 or collect at 1-804-673-1177 to arrange cashless access to a BlueCard Worldwide hospital or provider.
To file a claim:
- If the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center arranged your hospitalization, the hospital will file the claim for you. You will need to pay the hospital for the out-of-pocket expenses you normally pay. International Claim Form [PDF]
- For outpatient and doctor care, or inpatient care not arranged through the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center, you will need to pay the health care provider and submit a BlueCard Worldwide International claim form with original bills to the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center.
- International claim forms are available from your Blue Plan, the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center or online at https://bcbsglobalcore.com.
Travel Resources are provided by Ohio University's Life Insurance company Securian/ Minnesota Life.