Student Hiring Process
Hiring departments are encouraged to post student hourly vacancies through the Ohio University job site. To request a new account and for assistance with this process, please contact the Employee Service Center at 740-593-1636 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review Tips for Managing Students for guidance on supervising student workers and using best practice.
New students and students who are changing work locations are required to complete employment paperwork PRIOR to their first day of work. The required paperwork may be completed within your Center of Excellence, if applicable.
Minor Student Employees
Please be familiar with the State of Ohio Minor Labor Laws.
Student employees under the age of 18 require the following documents to be completed PRIOR to their first day of work:
- Proof of Age (copy of a driver's license, birth certificate, etc.)
- Wage Agreement (to be completed by the hiring department)
- Parental Consent Form (to be completed by a parent/guardian)
- Work Permit
- Required for all employees 14 and 15 years old.
- Required for 16 and 17 year olds IF they are currently enrolled in high school. Exception: Work permit is not required during summer break.
- 16 and 17 year are not required to have a work permit if they have graduated from high school. It is the hiring department's responsibility to ensure the student has a proper work permit when continuing work into the fall.
Non-Ohio University Students
Please verify enrollment status of non-Ohio University students each semester. Review the Student Employment Eligibility page for further details.
Hiring Managers who ARE NOT in a Center of Excellence should follow the following steps when hiring a student employee.
Only NEW student employees who do NOT exist in our systems will need to complete ALL new hire paperwork. To determine whether your student employee is active in our systems, please check the Employee Lookup.
- If the employee does NOT appear in the employee lookup, complete a New Student Employee Pre-Hire form [PDF]. Direct the student to bring the completed form to HRTC 103, or to one of the open sessions held during the first week of fall semester. (See below for the dates and times). The student should be instructed to bring the New Student Employee Pre-Hire Form and also to review the information on the form before arriving to complete the paperwork.
- Human Resources will provide the student with a "Student Employee Paperwork Verification Slip" when the paperwork is complete.
- Students must provide that signed slip to the hiring department BEFORE being permitted to begin working.
- If the student loses the slip, you may contact UHR at (740) 593-1636 for verbal verification that the paperwork is complete.
- If the employee DOES appear in the employee lookup, please complete the Existing Student Employee Information Sheet [Word] ONLY and submit the form to HRTC 103.
- Enter the student into Workforce. Information, documentation, and training materials regarding Workforce, including entering a new student can be found on the HR System Training page.
- Hiring managers should maintain proof of enrollment for each non-Ohio University student employee each semester.
Human Resources conducts open hiring sessions at Baker Center during the first week of fall semester. No appointment is necessary and representatives will work with students to complete paperwork on a first come, first serve basis. Hiring managers can direct students to these sessions.
|Monday, August 26, 2019||9:30am- 1:00pm||Baker University Center 237|
|Tuesday, August 27, 2019||9:30am- 1:00pm||Baker University Center 237|
|Wednesday, August 28, 2019||9:30am- 1:00pm||Baker University Center 237|
|Thursday, August 29, 2019||9:30am- 1:00pm||Baker University Center 237|
|Friday, August 30, 2019||9:30am- 1:00pm||Baker University Center 237|
For general questions regarding student employment paperwork, please contact Human Resources at 740.593.1636.
For information regarding training, the Centers of Excellence, or other concerns regarding student hiring in general, please contact Nick Wortman, Director of HR Services at email@example.com or 740.597.2542.