Student Hiring Process
Hiring departments are encouraged to post student hourly vacancies through the Ohio University job site. To request a new account and for assistance with this process, please contact the Employee Service Center at 740-593-1636 or email@example.com.
Review Tips for Managing Students for guidance on supervising student workers and using best practice.
New students and students who are changing work locations are required to complete employment paperwork PRIOR to their first day of work. The required paperwork may be completed within your Center of Excellence, if applicable.
Minor Student Employees
Please be familiar with the State of Ohio Minor Labor Laws.
Student employees under the age of 18 require the following documents to be completed PRIOR to their first day of work:
- Proof of Age (copy of a driver's license, birth certificate, etc.)
- Wage Agreement (to be completed by the hiring department)
- Parental Consent Form (to be completed by a parent/guardian)
- Work Permit
- Required for all employees 14 and 15 years old.
- Required for 16 and 17 year olds IF they are currently enrolled in high school. Exception: Work permit is not required during summer break.
- 16 and 17 year are not required to have a work permit if they have graduated from high school. It is the hiring department's responsibility to ensure the student has a proper work permit when continuing work into the fall.
Non-Ohio University Students
Please verify enrollment status of non-Ohio University students each semester. Review the Student Employment Eligibility page for further details.
Hiring Managers who ARE NOT in a Center of Excellence should follow the following steps when hiring a student employee.
Only NEW student employees who do NOT exist in our systems will need to complete the full new hire paperwork packet. To determine whether your student employee is active in our systems, please check the Employee Lookup.
- If the employee does not appear in the employee lookup, complete a New Student Employee Pre-Hire form. The new employee will then get an automated email with instructions regarding new hire paperwork.
- Once the student completes the I-9 verification process, they will receive a verification email from firstname.lastname@example.org which confirms the I-9 is complete.
- Departments may not allow students to begin work until the email confirmation is received.
- If no confirmation is received, contact UHR at (740) 593-1636 for verbal verification that the I-9 is complete.
- Enter the student into Workforce only after confirmation of the I-9. Information and training materials for Workforce can be found on the HR System Training page.
- If the employee does appear in the employee lookup, have them complete the Existing Student Employee Information Sheet.
- Hiring managers should maintain proof of enrollment for each non-Ohio University student employee each semester.
For general questions regarding student employment paperwork, please contact Human Resources at 740.593.1636.
For information regarding training, the Centers of Excellence, or other concerns regarding student hiring in general, please contact Heather Krugman, Executive Director, OHIO Business Service Center at email@example.com.