Mission and Values
At OHIO we know that our institution will succeed only with the concerted effort of all of our staff and faculty, which is why we care so much about the employees that call OHIO home. We strive to be a great employer and hope to influence not only the local region we're a part of, but also the world.
Ohio University's mission and vision statements encapsulate our purpose and goals. They also play an important role in defining the ties that link all members of our University community. What we mean is that every member of this community in some way is working to make this mission and vision a reality, regardless of the type of work they do.
Ohio University holds as its central purpose the intellectual and personal development of its students. Distinguished by its rich history, diverse campus, international community, and beautiful Appalachian setting, Ohio University is known as well for its outstanding faculty of accomplished teachers whose research and creative activity advance knowledge across many disciplines.
Ohio University will be the nation's best transformative learning community where students realize their promise, faculty advance knowledge, staff achieve excellence, and alumni become global leaders.
Ohio University Core Values and Guiding Principles
Our ethical foundations and beliefs upon which all decisions are made
As Ohio University works to achieve its vision, a set of fundamental principles guide our decisions:
- Strong undergraduate programs with a liberal arts core are a vital and necessary foundation.
- Strong graduate and professional programs are necessary to achieve our educational, research, and creative mission.
- All forms of research, scholarship, and creative activity are vital to the intellectual life of the University, and their integration into both graduate and undergraduate curricula is a key component of student success.
- Learning at the University is enhanced by creating a community of students, faculty, and staff who come from diverse backgrounds. That community benefits from our commitment to international education and the inclusion of global perspectives in our curricula.
- Advising, mentoring, personal interaction, and active engagement among faculty, staff, students, and alumni greatly enhance the educational experience.
- Learning is derived from the totality of the college experience, including activities both inside and outside the classroom.
- Shared governance-the inclusion of input from all constituent groups-is central to our decision-making processes.
- Our continuing success requires judgments about and selective investment in initiatives that will advance our mission.
- Accountability is essential to effective management and requires commitments to assessment, planning, decision making, and continual improvement.
The following elements are essential to the support and advancement of our collaborative mission:
- To support our educational mission in achieving the goals outlined above, we require a well-maintained infrastructure of people and facilities.
- Our academic support services exist to serve the academic mission: they should be effective, efficient, and continually improving.
- A sense of community and an appealing environment provide a special place in which to learn, live, and work.
- All individuals in the University community are valued; their skills and knowledge should be cultivated, their work supported, and their leadership skills developed.
- Interactions among all individuals in the University community should be built on standards of civility, integrity, caring, and collaboration.
- Our commitment to the region is expressed through stewardship of shared resources, access to programs and services, and contribution to economic development.