An RA is a student staff member who is responsible for a floor within a residence hall. The RA is responsible for serving as a mentor and guide to their residents while also cultivating a cooperative and inclusive community. This is a people-oriented position in which the RA is expected to be a community builder, educator, conflict manager, equity and inclusion advocate, role model and team member. Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
RA Position Information-Hiring 2020-2021
We are excited that you are considering to apply to be a Resident Advisor! The RA position is one of the most rewarding student leadership opportunities on our campus.
For more information, please explore the section below.
- Minimum of two (2) completed semesters of on-campus living prior to employment start date
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2019/2020 academic year
- Must be in good standing with The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility and Housing and Residence Life
- Must maintain a 2.50 cumulative grade point average at time of application and throughout the employment period
- Attend one information session
- The period of employment is August 2020 – May 2021. These dates may be revised and communicated to all successful candidates at the earliest possibility
- Staff members may engage in 5 hours of on-campus OR 10 hours of off-campus in additional employment during the period of employment
- Staff members cannot hold both a Federal Work Study, Graduate appointment, or an AmeriCorp position and an RA position.
- Monday, November 11, 2019
- First Info Session
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019
- 2020-2021 RA Application Available
- Tuesday, January 14, 2020
- Final Info Session
- Friday, January 17, 2020
- RA application period ends at 11:59pm EST – your application must be complete in order to be considered for a position (Note: incomplete applications will not be considered for movement to the next step of the process )
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020
- Reference submission period ends at 11:59pm EST – all references must be submitted by this deadline for your application to be considered to fully complete (Note: incomplete applications will not be considered for movement to the next step of the process)
- Friday, February 7 and Saturday February 8, 2020
Individual interviews – candidates who are invited to this step will participate in personal interviews during this time
- March 2-6, 2020
- Notification of offer/alternate/not hired sent via email
The Department of Housing and Residence Life student staff selection process has been designed to help you learn as much as possible about the RA position so that you can make an informed decision about applying for and becoming an RA. The hiring process involves several steps detailed below.
Step 1: Attend a Mandatory Information Session
- Monday, November 11, 7pm, Walter 235
- Wednesday, November 13, 7pm, Morton 122
- Friday, November 15, 3pm, Baker 231
- Sunday, November 17, 7pm, Baker 231
- Tuesday, November 19, 7pm, Walter 235
- Thursday, November 21, 3pm, Morton 122
- Wednesday, November 27, 3pm, Virtual
- Monday, December 2, 3pm, Morton 122
- Thursday, December 5, 7pm, Walter 235
- Monday, December 16, 3pm, Virtual
- Wednesday, December 18, 3pm, Virtual
- Tuesday, January 14, 8pm, Walter 135
Sign up to attend a virtual info session here: https://signup.com/go/ynjMjjp
Step 2: Complete the Division of Student Affairs Foundations of Leadership module
- RAs are not only a staff member for Housing and Residence Life, but also the Division of Student Affairs (DOSA.) All DOSA student employees are required to complete the Foundations of Leadership module, which is the first section of the Ohio University Leadership Endorsement program.
- Access the Foundations of Leadership by clicking here (https://connect.ohio.edu/lgzls35hr66k/)
Step 3: Complete the RA Application
A complete application includes the following material:
- Completed application on eRezLife (ohio.erezlife.com) between November 12 – January 17 at 11:59pm
- Short Essays
- Upload a screenshot of the completion certificate for Foundations of Leadership module
- 2 References who are current or former supervisors, mentors, and/or advisors
The Student Staff Recruitment and Selection Committee will process all applications to ensure that they are complete and that candidates meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If, for any reason, your application is incomplete or you are not eligible to move to the next step, the team will communicate with you via email regarding your status in the selection process.
Step 4: Interview Process
- For candidates who proceed to this step, you will participate in an interview with Housing and Residence Life professional and student staff
Step 5: Housing Contracts
- All 2020-2021 RA candidates who are required to reside on campus must complete the housing contract and submit the $200.00 deposit between Friday, January 4 and Wednesday, February 20, 2019. (See Housing Requirement)
- All 2020-2021 RA candidates who are not required to reside on campus should only complete a housing contract, if they have been offered/accepted the position or will reside on campus regardless of the RA employment offer. RA candidates who are not required to reside on campus and who will not reside on campus if they do not receive an offer may complete the housing contract after receiving an offer and by March 16.
- If an RA candidate is not required to live on campus completes the contract is not offered a position and would like to be released from the contract, the student will be subject to the cancellation policy.
- All 2020-2021 RA candidates who complete a housing contract for on-campus housing before being hired as an RA, and who do not get the position, will only be released from the previously-signed contract if you are not required to live on campus. (See Housing Requirement)
- Housing will not refund deposits for students who have accepted the position and paid the deposit when completing their contract. Deposits submitted with the housing contract will be applied to the student’s account. The RA housing credit will be applied to the student’s account in late July. The $200.00 deposit/prepayment will then be applied to any previous or future balances on the student’s OHIO student account.
- All RA candidates who are offered and accept a position will be removed from all room selection processes on March 13.
If you are studying abroad or interning in Spring 2020 and will not be on campus while interviews are being conducted, you should still apply. You will need to attend a mandatory information session; if you are unable to be present in person, please contact the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team at RAinfo@ohio.edu by Friday, December 13, 2019 at 12:00pm EST.
Throughout the application process, representatives from the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection Committee will be in contact with you via your university account. Should you have any questions please contact the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection Committee at RAinfo@ohio.edu