RA Position Information-Hiring 2019-2020
We are excited that you are considering to apply to be a Resident Assistant! The RA position is one of the most rewarding student leadership opportunities on our campus. Below you will find information on the role and the processes.
What is a Resident Assistant?
A Resident Assistant (RA) is a student staff member who is responsible for a floor or living area within a residence hall. As the front-line staff member in the assigned area, the RA is responsible for serving as a mentor and guide to their residents while also cultivating a cooperative and inclusive community. This is a people-oriented position in which the RA is expected to be a community builder, educator, conflict manager, equity and inclusion advocate, role model and team member. Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Please review the position description [PDF] to find out more about the RA role and responsibilities.
Minimum qualifications for the RA position include:
- Minimum of two (2) completed semesters of on-campus living prior to employment start date
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2019/2020 academic year
- Must be in good standing with The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility and Housing and Residence Life
- Must maintain a 2.50 cumulative grade point average at time of application and throughout the employment period
- Attend one information session
The RA Application & Selection Process
The Department of Housing and Residence Life student staff selection process has been designed to help you learn as much as possible about the RA position so that you can make an informed decision about applying for and becoming an RA . The hiring process involves several steps (as detailed below.)
Step 1: Attend a Mandatory Information Session
- Monday, November 12, 8pm, Jefferson Hall 160
- Tuesday, November 13, 8pm, LLC 102/104
- Wednesday, November 14, 8pm, Porter Hall 103
- Sunday, November 25, 8pm, LLC 102/104
- Monday, November 26, 8pm, Porter Hall 103
- Tuesday, November 27, 8pm, Jefferson Hall 160
- Sunday, December 2, 8pm, Porter Hall 103
- Monday, December 3 , 8pm, Jefferson Hall 160
- Tuesday, December 4, 8pm, LLC 102/104
Step 2: Complete the RA Application
- A complete application includes the following material:
- Completed electronic application
- Short Essays
- 2 References
- Required: 2 references that are current/former supervisors, mentors, and/or advisors
- Preferred: 1 current or former Housing and Residence Life staff member and 1 former supervisor, mentor, and/or advisor. References are not notified to complete their electronic form until your application is submitted
- The Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team will process all applications to ensure that they are complete and that candidates meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If, for any reason, your application is incomplete or you are not eligible to move to the next step the team will communicate with you via email regarding your status in the selection process.
Step 3: Interview Process
- For candidates who proceed to this step, you will participate in an interview with Housing and Residence Life professional and student staff
- Dress for interviews is business casual
Step 4: Housing Contracts
- All 2019-2020 RA candidates who are required to reside on campus must complete the housing contract and submit the $200.00 deposit between Friday, January 4 and Wednesday, February 20, 2019. (See Housing Requirement)
- All 2019-2020 RA candidates who are not required to reside on campus should only complete a housing contract, if they have been offered/accepted the position or will reside on campus regardless of the RA employment offer.
- All 2019-2020 RA candidates who complete a housing contract for on-campus housing before being hired as an RA, and who do not get the position, will only be released from the previously-signed contract if you are not required to live on campus. (See Housing Requirement)
- Housing will not refund deposits for students who have accepted the position and paid the deposit when completing their contract. Deposits submitted with the housing contract will be applied to the student’s account. The RA housing credit will be applied to the student’s account in late July. The $200.00 deposit/prepayment will then be applied to any previous or future balances on the student’s OHIO student account.
Application Timeline for 2019-2020 RA Positions
- November 12, 2018
- First Info Session
- November 13, 2018
- 2019/2020 RA Application Available (link to application will be provided within two business days of attending the information session)
- January 20, 2019
- RA application period ends at 11:59pm EST – your application must be complete in order to be considered for a position ( Note: incomplete applications will not be considered for movement to the next step of the process )
- January 24, 2019
- Reference submission period ends at 11:59pm EST – all references must be submitted by this deadline for your application to be considered to fully complete ( N ote: incomplete applications will not be considered for movement to the next step of the process )
- February 8–10, 2019
- Individual interviews – candidates who are invited to this step will participate in personal interviews during this time
- February 25–March 1, 2019
- Notification of offer/alternate/not hired sent via email
Studying Abroad & Internships
- If you are studying abroad, interning in Spring 2019 and will not be on campus while interviews are being conducted, you should still apply. You will need to attend a mandatory information session; if you are unable to be present in person, please contact the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team at RAinfo@ohio.edu by Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:00pm EST.
- Throughout the application process, representatives from the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team will be in contact with you via your university account. Should you have any questions please contact the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team at RAinfo@ohio.edu
Remuneration & Terms of Employment
- Room: 100% of room waiver
- Stipend: $3,158 per academic year (subject to change; based on 2017-2018 pay rate)
Terms of Employment
- The period of employment is August 2019 – May 2020. These dates may be revised and communicated to all successful candidates at the earliest possibility
- Staff members may engage in 5 hours of on-campus OR 10 hours of off-campus in additional employment during the period of employment
- Staff members cannot hold both a Federal Work Study or an AmeriCorp position and an RA position
For more information email the Student Staff Recruitment and Selection team at RAinfo@ohio.edu.