First Year Room Selection
Review the information posted here and check your Ohio University email.
The most important thing you can do to prepare for the First Year Room Selection process is to review the information from Housing and Residence Life. This page contains information designed to outline the process and answer many of the questions you might have. We also recommend that you regularly review the information that is sent to your Ohio University email account. Messages from Housing and Residence Life will come from email@example.com.
Log in using your OHIO ID and password and select the 'Application' tab. Select “First Year Student Contract 2211 (Fall Semester 2020-21)” from the drop down list.
Read and agree to the contract terms and conditions. By accepting the terms and conditions you are agreeing to a contract that is binding for fall and spring semester. After accepting the terms and conditions, you will be advised that a $200 housing deposit/prepayment is required. You will be given the option to pay through CashNet. If you are not prepared to pay at this time, you can return the housing contract at a later time. To pay the deposit at a later time, you must log back into your housing contract and navigate to the end until you reach the payment page.
The contract is not marked complete until the payment is made. Only those applications completed (including deposit payment) from January 3 to May 1 will be eligible to participate in the First Year Room Selection process. Students whose applications are received after May 1 will be assigned a room by Housing and Residence Life.
Answer the contract questions and select a meal plan.
If you did not pay when completing your contract, finalize your contract by submitting a $200 housing deposit/prepayment. Payments must be received by May 1, 2020 by 11:59 PM.
In order to participate in the room selection process, the housing contract and deposit must be received by the May 1 deadline.
Payments can be made online at the end of the contract completion process or by sending a check to the following address:
Housing and Residence Life
Living Learning Center 215
111 South Green Drive
Athens, OH 45701
An online payment is recommended. If mailing a check, it must be received and processed no later than 4:00 PM on May 1, 2020 to be eligible for room selection.
Tips to Prepare
- Review and understand the contract terms and conditions of the housing contract.
- Make sure that you know your OHIO ID and password.
- Make sure that you have everything you need to make your housing deposit (credit card information, bank routing number, or a check for $200 mailed before the deadline).
Make Changes to the Contract
If you wish to make additions, deletions, or changes to your contract, you can do so online. To make changes to your personal preferences or to change your meal plan visit Housing Self-Service.
Deposit Refund and Contract Cancellation Process
Students who decide not to attend Ohio University, may request a refund of their housing deposit up until May 1. All contract cancellations and deposit refunds must be requested in writing, via your OHIO email account, by fax, or letter. The request must include your name and PID number. The request must be received by the May 1 deadline.
Students who know who they would like to reside with can add roommate by visiting Housing Self-Service. For those students who do not have a designated roommate identified, Housing and Residence Life will offer an optional and voluntary search using My College Roomie. Detailed instructions can be found here [PDF], they also will be sent to your Ohio University email account in addition to being posted on your Housing Self-Service page.
Please note: all students wishing to room together must have a finalized contract (deposit paid) in order to be added as a roommate.
Determine how many roommates you want. You may only request up to three other roommates. Be advised that there are limited space on campus for first year students that will accommodate a group of four within one room (quads). A majority of first year spaces are double occupancy rooms, and we recommend selecting in a group of two for greater options during selection. First year halls, primarily on West Green, have multiple triple occupancy rooms that can be selected into. For these spaces we recommend matching into a group of three students.
Due to hall configurations, first year students will only be allowed to match with first year students or incoming transfer students. If your requested roommate has a common name (i.e. Matthew Smith), it will be helpful to have the student's OHIO ID / email address. Roommate requests must be mutual PRIOR to selecting a room to be successful in the roommate selection process.
Only students who have finalized their housing contract (both completed and paid their deposit) can be considered for roommate matching and/or selection.
Visit Housing Self-Service, select "Add your Roommate" if you have not already been added, or confirm the pending roommate request of a student who has already added you as a requested roommate. By confirming the roommate(s), your roommate group should then be reflected as a "matched group." Unmatched groups must be corrected before the room selection process begins.
- Make any additions and changes to your roommate requests in advance of your room selection time. You can make additions and deletions during the scheduled time of your selection, but using this valuable time when you could be selecting your room could result in another individual selecting the room that you wish to select.
- During the room selection, students will have the ability to divide roommate groups into “sub-groups” on the ‘Online Room Selection’ screen. This will provide the opportunity for the student selecting for the matched roommate group to break the group into sub-groups, view options for rooms in halls without deleting the roommates, and then select for the entire group by placing students in different rooms within the same hall. This option is to allow for student groups to remain near each other within the same hall when/if spaces to accommodate their group size are not longer available.
- If you are someone's roommate, and they are eligible to select at an earlier selection date and time, that student will be selecting for you. HOWEVER, it is still your responsibility to confirm that you were pulled into a room as expected. If you were not, you may select during your designated selection time.
The room selection process is set up in three distinctly different room selection processes. There will be an earlier selection on May 13-14 for students who will be participating in a Residential Living Experience (i.e. Army ROTC, Scholarship Halls, and Expanded Gender Inclusive Housing).
General Room Selection Process will be May 18-22, and will be the process in which most first year students will select. Each student will receive a scheduled date/time during which they can select a room.
Housing and Residence Life will also offer a "Room Change Process" for those students who select a room and then decide to explore other room options on campus from May 27 to August 1.
1. General Room Selection Process
Times and dates for selection in the general process are emailed and viewable on the Housing Self-Service the Wednesday prior to room selection (May 13). The campus wide room selection process will be held on May 18 - May 22 and will be available only to those students who have met the application and deposit payment deadline.
Students who did not meet the May 1, 2020 application/deposit deadline will be assigned a room by Housing and Residence Life Staff.
2. Room Change Process
Even with the online room selection process making it faster and easier for you and your requested roommates to choose a room, there is still no guarantee that everyone will be 100% satisfied with their final selection. Although at times, few spaces are available, the Room Change Process can allow you to have a second opportunity to choose a new room option.
The Room Change Process for first year students will take place from May 27 - August 1. During this time period, students can change rooms as many times as they like. If you do not find a room that you are interested in, keep looking! Rooms will open up throughout the duration of room change days, although the inventory will be limited.
Room changes for fall semester are as simple as completing the following steps:
- Log in to Housing Self-Service
- Click on 'Room Selection' and then on 'Select a Room/Suite'
- Look through the list of available rooms
- If you find a room you would like to select, click the 'Select Room' button
- Submit and finalize your request on the Room Booking page
Once you change rooms, the room you selected becomes your housing assignment and your previous room becomes available for other students to select.
Students do not have to sign up to participate in the Room Change Process for fall semester assignments. All students will automatically be able to participate in this process and can explore alternative room options that are available. Roommate requests CANNOT be "pulled in" during the Room Change Process. Each person must individually select into the room if multiple space are available.
The configuration summary shows quick facts about each hall, including the capacity, any special communities that are housed there, if it has a laundry room, and other interesting facts. The summary can be found here.
Be prepared on your assigned date and time to select your room. You can find your selection date and time on your Housing Self-Service page. Selection dates/times are published the Wednesday prior to selection: May 13.
There is a difference between the start time of the selection process and your scheduled selection time! Once your time begins, you can select a space from that time until the end of the selection process. You may only select once during room selection.
Visit Housing Self-Service to make your selection. The room selection section can be accessed by selecting the 'room selection' tab located under the navigational toolbar. Detailed instructions for selection will be found in Housing Self-Service during the selection process.
Tips for Preparing for Room Selection
- To prevent delays or problems with your online room selection, you should know your OHIO ID and password, make sure that you and your roommates are mutually confirmed, and have reviewed all green, building and room options that you are interested in. Be realistic with room availability and have several alternative selections in mind so that you have several back up plans.
- Students can monitor spaces prior to selecting a room. Once your designated selection date/time arrives, you will then be able to select a room.
- If you have a "matched roommate group," the student that has the earliest selection date/time should be the student designated to complete the room selection process for the group. All students in a matched group will be assigned into the room once the first person in the group has completed the room selection process.
- Once a room is selected, your room selection will be displayed on the "overview" page on Housing Self-Service. Additionally, an email confirmation will be sent to your OHIO email account.
- Verify that the correct roommates are also listed on your Housing Self-Service page to ensure that you successfully pulled all desired roommate(s) into a room with you.
Once You Have Made Your Selection
After you have completed your room selection, the assignment will appear on your Housing Self-Service overview page with any requested roommate information. In addition, a confirmation email containing your hall and room assignment will be sent to your OHIO email account within one day of your room selection date. Keep this email for your records.