Returning Student Room Selection
Complete the 2020-2021 Returning Student Room Selection Tutorial for a chance to win priority room selection.
Review the information posted here and check your Ohio University email.
The most important thing you can do to prepare for the Returning Student Room Selection process is to review the information communicated by Housing and Residence Life. This page contains information designed to outline the process and answer many of the questions you might have. We also recommend that you regularly review the information that is sent to your Ohio University email account. Messages from Housing and Residence Life will come from email@example.com.
Returning Student Room Selection Events
2020-2021 Housing Contract Available:
January 3 at 9:00 AM on Housing Self-Service
February 11 in LLC 102/104 at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM
February 19 in LLC 102/104 at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM
February 20 in LLC 102/104 at 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM
Meet Your Match:
February 24 in Jefferson 160 at 7:00 PM
Contract & Deposit Deadline:
February 25 at 4:00 PM
March 1 at 5:00 PM-7:00 PM
Returning Student Room Selection:
March 18-19, Return to the Same Living Experience
March 23-27, General Room Selection
April 14-August 1, Room Change Process
Housing Deposit Refund Deadline:
May 1, Deadline to Request a Refund of $200 Housing Deposit
To access the online housing and dining contract, click on the “ Housing Self-Service ” button located on the housing main page.
Log in using your OHIO ID and password. Under 'Applications' select “Second Year Student Contract 2211, Upperclass Student Contract 2211 or Transfer Student Contract 2211 (Fall Semester 2020-21)” from the drop down list.
Read and agree to the contract terms and conditions. By accepting the terms and conditions you are agreeing to a contract that is binding for fall and spring semester. After accepting the terms and conditions, you will be advised that a $200 housing deposit/prepayment is required and will be given the option to pay through CashNet. If you are not prepared to pay at this time, you can complete the housing application at a later time and your information will be saved. To pay the deposit at a later time, you must log back into your housing application and navigate to the end until you reach the payment page. The contract is not marked complete until a payment is made.
Answer the contract questions and select a meal plan.
If you did not pay when completing your application, finalize your contract by submitting a $200 housing deposit/prepayment. Payments must be received by February 25, 2019 by 4:00 PM.
Payments can be made online at the end of the contract completion process or by submitting a check to the following address:
Housing and Residence Life
Living Learning Center 215
111 South Green Drive
Athens, OH 45701
An online payment is recommended. If mailing a check, it must be received and processed no later than February 25, 2019 to be eligible for the selection process. Make sure you check your Housing Self-Service page to ensure that your check has been received and processed by the Bursar.
If you complete your contract after February 25, 2019, you will be added into the Room Change Process that starts on April 14, 2019. You will be given an assignment of “ROOM CHANGE HALL”. This will allow you to be able to enter the process and switch rooms with available spaces. This process runs until August 1, 2019. You will need to log on to your Self-Service and select an available space by August 1. After August 1 you will be manually assigned into an available space.
Tips to Prepare
- Review and understand the contract terms and conditions of the housing contract.
- Make sure that you know your OHIO ID and password.
- Make sure that you have everything you need to make your $200 housing deposit (credit card information, bank routing number or a check for $200 mailed before the deadline).
Make Changes to the Contract
If you wish to make additions, deletions, changes to your contract, or meal plan you can do so online. To make changes to your personal preferences, visit the Housing Self-Service page.
Deposit Refund and Contract Cancelation Process
Students who decide not to attend Ohio University may request a refund of their $200 housing deposit up until May 1, 2019. All contract cancelations and deposit refunds must be requested in writing, via your OHIO email account, by fax or letter. The request must include your name and PID number and the request must be received by the May 1, 2019 deadline.
The refund request deadline also applies to students applying for an exemption to reside in a recognized fraternity or sorority houses.
Roommate requests can be added beginning February 25, 2019, by visiting Housing Self-Service. Detailed instructions will be sent to your Ohio University email account in addition to being posted on your Housing Self-Service page.
First Year Roommates
Due to hall configurations based on first year, second year standing, and upperclass standing you will not be able to select a roommate who is a first year student.
All students wishing to room together must have a finalized contract (deposit paid) in order to be added as a roommate.
Determine how many roommates you want to be matched with. You may request up to three roommates. You will need to provide the roommate's full name. If your requested roommate has a common name (i.e. Matthew Smith), it will be helpful to have the student's OHIO ID/email address. Roommate requests must be mutual PRIOR to selecting a room to be successful in the roommate selection process.
Reminder-only students who have finalized their housing contract (both completed and paid their deposit) can be considered for roommate matching and/or selection.
Visit Housing Self-Service beginning February 25, 2019 you can add your roommate(s).
- Make any additions and changes to your roommate requests in advance of your room selection time. You can make additions and deletions during the scheduled time of your selection, but using this valuable time when you could be selecting your room could result in another individual selecting the room that you wish to select.
- During the room selection, students will have the ability to divide roommate groups into “sub-groups” on the ‘Online Room Selection’ screen. This will provide the opportunity for the student selecting for the “matched” roommate group to break the group into sub-groups, view options for rooms in halls without deleting the roommates, and then select for the entire group by placing students in different rooms within the same hall. This option is to allow for student groups to remain near each other within the same hall when/if spaces to accommodate their group size are not longer available.
- If you are someone's roommate and they are eligible to select at an earlier selection date and time, that student will be selecting for you. HOWEVER, it is still your responsibility to confirm that you were pulled into a room as expected. If you were not, you may select during your designated selection time
The room selection process is set up in three distinctly different processes. There will be an earlier selection for students who will be participating in Return to Same Living Experience on March 18-19, 2020.
General Room Selection Process will begin March 23, and will be the process in which most second year students will select. Each student will receive a scheduled date/time during which they can select a room.
Housing and Residence Life will also offer a "Room Change Process" for those students who select a room and then decide to explore other room options on campus from April 14 to August 1.
1. Return to Same Living Experience Selection
The return to same living experience selection will be held on March 18-19, 2020 and will be available only to those students who have met the application and deposit payment deadline. This process includes Women’s Leadership Studies, Substance Free, and Scholarship Halls.
Some halls/rooms may have restrictions that will be communicated to residents.
Students wishing to be the roommate of a person who is returning to their same living experience can also be "pulled into" the room during this selection process. However, each student affected by this housing selection must be listed as mutual roommate(s) prior to the selection occurring as well as completed their contract and $200 deposit/prepayment.
2. General Room Selection Process
The campus wide selection will be held on March 23 to March 27 and will be available only to those students who have met the application and deposit payment deadline.
Students who did not meet the February 25, 2020 application/deposit deadline can select a room during the Room Change Process beginning April 14, 2019.
A student selecting a room will pull in all mutually requested roommates during this process. Once a student is pulled in as a roommate, they will no longer be eligible to participate in a selection process until the Room Change Process.
3. Room Change Process
Even with the online room selection process making it faster and easier for you and your requested roommates to choose a room, there is still no guarantee that everyone will be 100% satisfied with their final selection. The 'Room Change' process will allow you to have a second opportunity to choose a new room option.
The online room change process will take place from April 16 to August 1. During this time period, students can change rooms as many times as they like. If you do not find a room that you are interested in, keep looking! Rooms will open up throughout the duration of room change days. This is an individual process, no roommates can be pulled in.
Room changes for fall semester are as simple as completing the following steps:
- Log in to Housing Self-Service
- Click on 'Room Selection' and then on 'Select a Room/Suite'
- Look through the list of available rooms
- If you find a room you would like to select, click the 'Select Room' button
- Submit and finalize your request on the 'Room Booking' page
Once you change rooms, the room you selected becomes your housing assignments and your previous room becomes available for other students to select.
Students do not have to sign up to participate in the room change process for fall semester assignments. All students will automatically be able to participate in this process and can explore alternative room options that are available. Roommate requests CANNOT be "pulled in" during the room change process. Each person must individually select into the room if multiple space are available.
The configuration summary shows quick facts about each hall, including the capacity, any special communities that are housed there, if it has a laundry room, and other interesting facts. The summary can be found here.
Be prepared on your assigned date and time to select your room. You can find your selection date and time on your Housing Self-Service page. Note that on your Self-Service page two times will be displayed- the start time of the selection process and your specific date and time that you are able to select a room! Once your time begins, you can select a space from that time until the end of the selection process (time posted on the Housing Self-Service page). You may only select once during selection.
Visit Housing Self-Service to make your selection. The room selection section can be accessed by selecting the 'room selection' tab located under the navigational toolbar. Detailed instructions for selection will be found in Housing Self-Service during the selection process.
Tips for Preparing for Room Selection
- To prevent delays or problems with your online room selection, you should know your OHIO ID and password, make sure that all roommates are mutual (all have added each other), and have reviewed all green, building and room options that you are interested in. Be realistic with room availability and have several alternative selections in mind so that you have several back up plans.
- Make sure that all roommates meet the criteria required for a particular building (i.e. required scholarship for Johnson/Read, etc.).
- Rooms in Bromley, Adams, Carr, Sowle, Luchs, and Tanaka are suite doubles and triples. These triples/doubles share a bathroom with privacy locks on the inside of the bathroom door but not the outside. In these halls, you will be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the bathroom. Furniture may not be moved from one side of the suite to the other for any reason in these six buildings.
Once You Have Made Your Selection
After you have completed your room selection, the assignment will appear on your Housing Self-Service overview page with any requested roommate information. In addition, a confirmation email containing your hall and room assignment will be sent to your OHIO email account within one day of your room selection date. Keep this email for your records.