Paying for Travel
There are a variety of options available to pay for the components of individual travel. The below grid details when to use the Central Travel Account (CTA), a PCard or travel card, and a personal card. See the Group Travel and Event Planning page for related payment options.
|Expense Type||Expense||Pcard or travel card||CTA||Personal card||Notes|
*For insurance purposes, a PCard or travel card should only be used when booking airfare for the cardholder
**For exception, submit a request to Finance Customer Care
|Lodging: Conference Hotel||Employee||Y*||N||Y||*Travel cards cannot be used to book conference registration.|
|Lodging: Conference Hotel||Guest||Y*||N||Y||*Travel cards cannot be used to book conference registration.|
|Lodging: Approved Non-Traditional||University dorms, AirBNB, VRBO||Y||N||Y|
|Lodging: Other Non-Traditional||EX: Hostels, Field Stations, Campgrounds||Y||N||Y||These require approval through planning unit CFAO, using the Lodging and Safety Questionnaire.|
|Ground Transportation||Rental Car||Y||N*||Y||*Enterprise and National will be direct billed to the CTA|
|Ground Transportation||Shuttle Service||Y||N||Y|
|Meals||Employee||N||N||N||Per diem only|
|Meals||Guest||N||N||N||Per diem only|
Paying for Airfare
Airfare must be paid for on a University card unless a prior exception has been approved.
- Central Travel Card (CTA): offers life insurance for all travelers
- PCard or travel card only the cardholder
Paying for Lodging
Lodging can be paid for on a University PCard, travel card or with a personal card, with reimbursement after travel.
Paying for Rental Cars
- Enterprise and National rentals will be direct billed to the CTA card. If not booked through CBT, you will need to provide the business account number to ensure proper billing.
- Other Rental Car companies: PCard, travel card, or a personal card upon pick up
Rental Car Insurance
- Enterprise and National: Insurance is automatically provided as a part of the University contract. Provide the business account number when booking directly with Enterprise or National (outside of Concur/CBT).
- Other rental car companies and international rentals cars: Additional insurance must be purchased and is reimbursable.
- The CTA card is available only through Concur or directly with CBT
- Business travel charged to a personal card will be reimbursed after travel