Search within:

Patton College of Education Online Program FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of common questions students ask about about online study at The Patton College of Education. If you don't see the answer to your question below, please feel free to reach out to Lisa S. Dael, Director, the Center for Technology and Online Programs, for assistance.


How much time should I allot to do work for online courses?

Depending on the subject and your knowledge of the content coming into the program, the time you will spend on each course will vary, but you should plan to allocate between 8-12 hours per week for coursework.  A typical course may include the activities below and can be broken down as follows:

Listening to a video lecture (30mins - 1 hour)
Reading book chapters (2-3 hours)
Reading articles (1-2 hours)
Watching video clips (1 hour)
Completing assignments (2-4 hours depending on # of credit hours).

Online courses are available in a more flexible format, but the assignments and tests are not any easier than a regular classroom-based course.  Please budget time in your weekly schedule to make sure you have plenty of time to get your work done.  You should log in to your class several times a week to see if there are any announcements or updates and include homework as a required item on your "To-Do" list.  Trying to complete coursework in 15-30 minute increments usually ends up being unsuccessful.  You will need to block off at least an hour each time to study.

What computer requirements do I need to run Blackboard or Canvas?

To access classes on online from a computer, your system must meet these minimums. Please note that you must have Administrator access to your computer to install programs. Public or loaned (work or business) computers often do not allow file downloads or plugin installations and thus may not work with Blackboard or Canvas.

  • Operating System: Windows Vista or newer; Mac OS 10.6 or newer
  • Processor: 1 GHz or faster
  • RAM: 512 MB or more
  • Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 or higher
  • Internet connection: Download speed of at least 1.5 Mbps
    • If you are using a satellite internet provider, you may experience timeouts, IP address issues, session problems, or course mail issues caused by latency. Please try to use a different provider when accessing your online course
  • Microsoft Word software
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) to open .pdf documents
  • Livetext software (Some programs require this software as well.  Check your syllabus for details. Available for purchase at Live Text)
What's the cost for OHIO's online programs?

The cost of our online programs varies depending on whether you are completing undergraduate or graduate classes, certificates or full degree programs, or endorsements.  Please review the tuition and fees posted on the Bursar's Office website.

Undergraduate Programs 

Look for "eCampus Undergraduate Tuition.

Graduate Programs

Look for "Graduate Programs with Differential Tuition" and then select "Patton College of Education." You can choose the program you are interested in pursuing. Please note: all fees that are listed exclude the cost of materials.

Which admission application should I use to apply for an online program?

That depends on the program.  There are several different forms you can use (see the links below).

Start by visiting the application page.

For Undergraduate Online Programs, select the Online Programs Application.

For Graduate Online Degree Programs, select the Graduate Degree-Seeking Programs Application
For Graduate Online Endorsements, Certificates, and other non-degree programs, select the Graduate Non-Degree Application

  • To get started, select Create an Account. After setting up your account, choose Start New Application and select your term and desired application type (degree-seeking, certificate-seeking, non-degree/endorsement)
  • You will need to scroll on the program selection page to select the program you wish to apply for.  

For graduate students who wish to reapply to complete their degree, please select the Graduate Re-Apply for a Degree Application

If you still have questions, please contact Lisa S. Dael for assistance.

Can I receive financial aid or scholarships for my online program?

That depends. Non-degree programs - which includes certificates and endorsements - do not generally qualify for federal financial aid, but degree programs may. Please complete the FAFSA in order to determine what amount you may qualify for.  

The Patton College also awards scholarships every spring for the following year. Students must apply through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship to be eligible for consideration.  

Some employers offer tuition reimbursement and other funding options for professional development so be sure to check with your employer's human resources office. Another potential resource may be seeking funding from professional organizations for your field, as sometimes those organizations make scholarship funds available.

Student Affairs offers an emergency microgrant for continuing students. Graduate students are eligible but must be carrying a minimum of 6 hours and have maximized all financial aid options.

Finally, there are loan options that can become available to non-degree students if employer reimbursement is not available. OHIO has a tool called FastChoice that provides a list of institutions our students have used recently and that allows students to search for loan options based on their circumstances. Once inside FastChoice, a student can filter loans by those that are available to graduate students in a non-degree-seeking program. In addition to FastChoice, Financial Aid maintains a partial list of external scholarships, some of which are available for graduate study.

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship for more information and to determine the best options for you. 

Do I have to pay to order a transcript to apply to a graduate program?

Unless your coursework was done at Ohio University, the answer is yes. Graduate College requires an official transcript to be able to evaluate your application (in order to qualify as a transcript, the document has to bear the Registrar’s signature and/or the seal of the institution). If you are an OHIO alumnus, be sure to indicate that on your application and Graduate College staff will request your transcript from the Office of the Registrar.

If you have a copy of your official transcript in your possession, you can upload a digital copy of it to be used to evaluate your application. But if you do so, we still will need an official transcript to be sent directly from any other college or university you attended before the end of your first class).

Here are instructions from the Graduate College website:

You can submit an official transcript by mail or electronically, depending on the options provided by your school. Most institutions will have instructions online about how to request transcripts. Generally, this information will be in the registrar's office or records office, but you may also find it under alumni information.

Electronic transcript services:

Select Ohio University as the recipient, if that option is available. If asked to provide an e-mail address, use Graduate College.

Along with your name, please include your OHIO PID number on your order request.

Mailing paper transcripts:

Paper transcripts must arrive still sealed in the original envelope in which they were released by the issuing institution. The mailing address needs to include your full name and your Ohio PID number and/or your date of birth (month/date/year).

Mailing address:
Graduate College
Your Name, Pxxxxxxxxx
1 Ohio University
Grosvenor Hall 102
Athens OH 45701

Can I transfer graduate credits from another school into this program?

You can request to transfer up to 8 hours from another program into some graduate degrees as long as you make the request at the beginning of your program so your coursework can be reviewed.  Requests to transfer courses into the program that are made after you have begun will not be honored.  We also do not guarantee that courses from another university will transfer.  Please review the course transfer policy on the Graduate College website.

How do I know which courses to enroll in each semester and when I should enroll?

Each online program has a Program Coordinator or Advisor who will work with you to develop a Program of Study.  You can use that plan to enroll in courses each semester. If you have questions about your Program of Study, please reach out to the program coordinator.

You will receive an email with instructions when registration is available for a particular semester.  While you are guaranteed a space in eCampus courses, please register as soon as possible so you have time to purchase books and prepare for the start of class.  Registering at the last minute can delay your access to classes or cost additional late fees.  You can register or request permission to enroll in a class through Friday of the first week of classes.  After that, you will require instructor permission.  Enrollments after the first two weeks will incur late fees and may not be approved. 

Are the online courses designed to be completed at your own pace or will I be required to log in to the class at a certain time each week?

Our courses cannot be completed at your own pace. While you will not have to log in at a set time each week for live instruction, we do recommend that you check in regularly to make sure you are not missing any due dates for assignments.

What happens if I can’t take the next class in the course sequence?

Many programs are part of a cohort.  Depending on where you are in the program, this could delay your graduation up to a year or more. We highly encourage you to continue with your cohort through the program as much as possible.  If you get off cohort or wish to take courses at a different pace, please consult with your advisor in order to complete a new signed Plan of Study.

What happens if an unexpected emergency arises and I cannot keep up with my coursework?

Contact your instructors immediately and alert them to the issue. They will usually try to work out a way to help you, but they can't help you if they don't know about your situation until the last week of the course. 

I have a disability. Can I have accommodations for my class?

Yes! Any student who feels s/he may need accommodation based on the impact of a disability should contact Accessibility Services to discuss their specific needs and register (you must provide written documentation). Please note: Instructors cannot make accommodations until official documentation is received from Accessibility Services so if you have not yet registered as a student with a disability, please contact Student Accessibility Services for information about registering.

How do I submit a dismissal appeal?

Email Patton College Interim Dean Lisa Harrison with a detailed description of why you should be reinstated. If approved, you will receive a letter from Dr. Nguyen and Dr. Bruce Martin that includes the conditions you must meet to continue in the program. You must then submit a re-enrollment form and work with your advisor to submit an updated Plan of Study before registering for coursework.

How do I register for classes?

The Patton College will send a message each term when it is time to register.  Full registration instructions will be included in the email.  Refer to the Program of Study provided by your advisor to select the courses you should enroll in each semester.

The Office of the University Registrar website also includes registration instructions. If you have questions, call their office at 740.593.4324 or email Registration. If you have technical questions about the registration system, call the Office of Information Technology at 740.593.1222 or email OIT Service Desk.


What happens if I miss taking classes for a semester and then want to enroll again?

You will need to submit a completed re-enrollment form in order to be able to register again after missing one semester or more.

How can I get a hold released on my account?

If it is a financial hold, you will need to pay your bill in full before the hold will be released.

If you have an academic hold, it means your GPA has fallen below 3.0 and you may be either put on probation or dismissed.  Please consult with your advisor to discuss your options.

When do I need to apply to graduate?

You will need to apply to graduate in the final semester of your program.  Certificate and degree-seeking students must all apply to have their certificate or diploma conferred.  Students completing endorsement programs do not need to apply to graduate, however. Participation in commencement is optional.

Please review the Graduation FAQs to learn more about applying to graduate. If you miss the deadline, you can still apply, but your diploma may be delayed and you may not be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony in the fall or spring semester.

How do I know my grade for my class?

As you progress through the course, grades for assignments are posted in Blackboard or Canvas.

Your official final grade for your class is posted on your MyOHIO Student Center, usually a week after the end of the course. You will sign in, click on "other academic..." drop-down box, choose "Grades, then click on the bottom next to the dropdown box.

What GPA do I need to keep or maintain while in the program?

Graduate students are required to keep and maintain a 3.0 GPA in order to graduate and to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress financial aid requirements. Students who do not hold a cumulative 3.0 GPA and do not have the potential to successfully recover their GPA within the remaining coursework will be dismissed from the program.

What happens if I get a grade of C- or lower?

A grade of C- or lower is considered failing. C- or less is not acceptable at the graduate level. Graduate students are expected to receive at least a C or better in every course. If you receive a grade lower than a C, then you will need to retake the course when it comes available again in the carousel course sequence. 

If you fail a class, you will be expected to retake that course when it is available. Once completed, your previous failing grade and your new grade will be combined to determine your recorded grade for that course and your overall GPA.

How do I appeal a grade?

You will need to turn to your instructor first. If you have exhausted all efforts, you will then be able to move forward with the next steps. Please see links below for this process outlined in the Graduate Catalog: Grade Appeal in the Graduate Catalog.

How can I drop classes from my schedule?

If you wish to drop classes from your schedule, you should use the MYOHIO Student Center to remove them.  To drop all classes from your schedule once the semester has started, you will need to reach out to the Graduate College.


What is academic probation and how do I remove it?

If your cumulative GPA in the program drops below 3.0, you will be put on academic probation and unable to register for the following semester until your hold is released following the submission of grades for the semester. You will need to bring your GPA up.

Are there any resources available to assist students in online programs?

Yes! The Patton College, Alden Library, the Office of Information Technology (OIT), and other university offices are here to support you as you navigate your online program. Resources include tutoring services, Student Accessibility Services, and much more. A good starting point is this list of Online Student Support that was compiled by OHIO's Regional Higher Education office. Alden Library maintains an FAQ page highlighting their services. And you can always reach out to CTOP for help in locating the assistance you need.

But remember, the earlier you connect with us, the better we can help. And everything you share with any OHIO faculty or staff member will remain confidential.

I am eligible for the GI Bill or another sponsoring program. How do I take advantage of those benefits?

If your tuition and fees will be either partially or fully paid by a third-party sponsoring organization (your company, the military, or other sponsors), you must provide tuition assistance forms or other billing authorization to the Office of the Bursar by the due date of your account charges. Additional information may be found on our Sponsored Students page (sponsored students are those students who are registered and require Ohio University to bill an outside sponsor/employer for their tuition and fees while they attend the university). 

This information was provided by the Office of the Bursar.

Can I enroll in two online programs at the same time?

Yes. However, please understand you must be admitted to each program, complete a dual enrollment form and check the tuition for each program.  Different programs carry different tuition rates and not all have a comprehensive fee which could mean you will be paying more than expected if you enroll in two programs at once. The Office of the Bursar has a list of programs and their fees on the Bursar website.

As an online student, am I eligible for Ohio University student health insurance?

Yes, but you must submit a voluntary enrollment form during an open enrollment period! Find detailed instructions on the Enrollment for Student Health Insurance web page.

What are the application requirements for international students?

The basic requirements are English proficiency, transcripts/academic credentials, and other documentation, as needed. 

Non-native speakers of English must submit official results of one of two standardized tests: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), as part of the application packet. Official scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to Ohio University.

Graduate College maintains a webpage with detailed information on international credential requirements

You do not have to submit a Financial Support Form with your application but it is recommended if you plan to study in person at an Ohio University campus. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services require that Ohio University establish that students have sufficient funds for the first year of study before a Form I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued. Having a complete Financial Support Form on file at the point you are admitted will speed up processing of your Certificate of Eligibility.