The name appearing on your diploma and in the commencement program may be different from the legal name only with these options:
- First name or initial
- Including or excluding the middle name or initial (provided the middle name already exists in the student information system)
- Proper capitalization of the name
- Proper accentuation of the name
First and middle names may not be lengthened (i.e., expanding an initial to a full name) for a diploma without also updating the legal name.
When applying for graduation, you have the opportunity to make changes to your name. If there is a discrepancy between the name you wish to appear on your diploma and the name we have for you in the student information system, you must contact the Office of the University Registrar, Graduation Division, with supporting documentation. You will need to submit a copy of one of the following:
- Court action document
- Divorce decree (the appropriate page of the decree)
- Marriage certificate
- Valid driver's license and social security card (you must submit both)
- Federal or state issued identification card and a social security card (you must submit both)
You may submit documents to the Office of the University Registrar, Graduation Division, Chubb Hall, Athens, Ohio 45701, or fax the information to the Office of the University Registrar, Attention Graduation, at 740.593.0216.
Regional campus students who need to change their name may present appropriate documentation to the student services office at their regional campus, mail the information to the above address, or fax the information to the above fax number.