Enrollment for Student Health Insurance
Domestic Students: Students registered for five (5) or more Athens credit hours will be automatically charged for the student health insurance. (Includes Athens online credit hours and Cleveland and Dublin HCOM students; excludes eCampus credit hours.) Students who wish to remain enrolled in the student health insurance policy must verify the charge for the student health insurance has been applied to their student account after the charges for their classes have been posted. Students that are not automatically charged for the student health insurance will require Voluntary Enrollment. See below.
Important Note: Students who change their class schedule prior to the Open Enrollment/Waiver deadline may require voluntary enrollment in the Student Health Insurance. Please review your student account to verify if voluntary enrollment is required.
International Students: Students registered for (1/2) or more credit hours will be automatically charged for the Student Health Insurance Policy upon registration.
*Students enrolled in an alternate health insurance policy may complete the online waiver application through their MyOHIO Student Center prior to the posted deadline. See Waiver Information.
Confirming Your Automatic Enrollment
Students automatically charged for the Student Health Insurance DO NOT need to submit an enrollment form.
- Domestic students registered for 5 or more Athens credit hours, and international students registered for 1/2 or more credit hours, will be automatically charged for the student health insurance upon registration. Please review the webpage for details about automatic enrollment.
- Students automatically charged for the Student Health Insurance are encouraged to confirm their enrollment using the link provided in the emails sent to them from the University Waiver/Enrollment Auditor, ECI Services. Emails are sent from the email address: Ohio@elev834.com. Emails are generally sent the day after charges are applied to the student account and on Wednesday mornings until the Waiver Deadline
- Confirming enrollment will expedite the student's enrollment information to the insurance company for processing
- Confirming enrollment will provide access to the health insurance ID card and electronic verification of benefits
- Students that do not confirm their enrollment will not have access to their ID card and electronic verification of benefits until after the Waiver/Open Enrollment Deadline
- Coverage will be backdated by the insurance company to be effective on the first day of the current coverage period
- Changes to a student's schedule, such as a reduction in credit hours, a class change, or campus location, may require voluntary enrollment in the Student Health Insurance
- Be sure to review your student account to verify if Voluntary Enrollment is needed
- Voluntary Enrollment requires submission of an enrollment form during the designated Open Enrollment period each semester
- Voluntary Enrollments are processed in the order they are received
- Voluntary Enrollment does not automatically continue
Voluntary enrollment requires an enrollment form to be dated and submitted during the designated Open Enrollment periods. Voluntary enrollment does not automatically continue. (See Premium Rates and Coverage Periods for Open Enrollment dates.)
Voluntary Enrollment applies to:
- All Dependents; See below
- All Qualifying Life Event Enrollments (QLE); see below
- Domestic students registered for less than (5) Athens credit hours (Includes Athens online credits)
- eLearning/eCampus students (different from online courses); See below
- Regional campus students; See below (Cleveland & Dublin HCOM students are automatically charged)
- Students participating in OPT prior to graduation (not available after graduation)
- Students enrolling in the student insurance after receiving an approved waiver during the same academic year
- Students enrolled in a program of study that is not automatically assessed the fee for the student health insurance
- International Visiting Scholars (see below)
Dependents include Spouse, Domestic Partner and Children.
Dependent Enrollment is voluntary and does not automatically continue. It is student responsibility to submit a completed enrollment form for their dependents during Open Enrollment periods each semester.
Athens and Regional campus students are eligible to enroll their dependents in the Student Health Insurance policy on a voluntary basis. Dependents are eligible to enroll for coverage periods in which the student is also enrolled in the student health insurance. Students may purchase only the current coverage period for their dependents during Open Enrollment. The premium amount for dependent coverage is applied to the student's University account. Students not enrolled in Summer semester credit hours may voluntarily enroll themselves and their dependents in the Summer coverage period. Premiums for Summer coverage must be prepaid to the student account if the student is not enrolled in Summer semester credit hours.
Qualifying Life Event (QLE)
Students who experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) are eligible to enroll in the student health insurance on a prorated basis after the open enrollment deadline if they meet the eligibility requirements. QLE enrollments will be prorated on a weekly/monthly basis from the date of the QLE until the start of the next predetermined coverage period.
Examples of Qualifying Life Events include: Divorce, marriage, birth or adoption of child, and loss of health insurance coverage.
Please contact the Student Health Insurance Administrator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org information regarding QLE enrollment. A special enrollment form is required for QLE enrollment. The enrollment form on this website is not applicable for QLE enrollment.
The deadline to complete a QLE enrollment is 30 days from the date of the Qualifying Life Event.
Regional Campus Students
Students taking at least (5) credit hours through any OU campus (or a combination of campuses) are eligible to enroll in the Student Health Insurance on a voluntary basis during Open Enrollment periods each semester. Coverage does not automatically continue. Students may purchase only the current coverage period during the posted Open Enrollment period. The premium amount is applied to the student's University account.
* Most Dublin and Cleveland courses are now automatically charged for the Student Health Insurance upon registration of (5) or more credit hours and do not require an enrollment form to be completed unless they are enrolling dependents.
J1 Visit Scholars
Visiting Scholars that are not credit bearing students and will only be on campus temporarily, are eligible to purchase the student health insurance on a voluntary basis.
Enrollment requires a special enrollment form to be completed that is not located on our website.
The premium amount for the insurance must be paid at the time of enrollment directly to the insurance company. Visiting Scholars must contact the Student Health Insurance Office at the University at: email@example.com to complete their enrollment.
Enrollment can take approximately 7 business days to be completed.