Careers & Internships in Environmental & Plant Biology
- Internships Program
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Student Blogs & Symposium
- Study Abroad & Global Studies
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Why Study Plant Biology?
- Why Is an Internship Essential?
- More about Careers in Botany at the Botanical Society of America.
Individualized Career Coaching for Arts & Sciences Students
College of Arts & Sciences students can take advantage of individualized career coaching, with many resources to help them prepare for successful lives. Students with liberal arts degrees are highly sought after because they are educated to think critically and become problem solvers for 21st century issues.
Improve. Increase. Preserve. Produce. Discover.
Plant Biology majors spend time in the lab and in the field, preparing for a variety of careers. They travel around the United States, and sometimes around the world, to explore species, preserve or manage an environment, or fight invasive plants.
They work in labs exploring algae in acid mine drainage, barcoding medicinal plants in Pakistan, or unlocking the secrets of cell walls. They help set up community gardens and preserve old growth forest. They study fossils, soil, and even gravity.
Alumni work in applied fields ranging from commercial greenhouses to sustainable agriculture. (See Applied Plant Biology major.) They begin careers ranging from biotechnology to conservation. (See Environmental and Plant Biology major.) They enter professions such as environmental monitoring and park management. (See Field Ecology major.)
The Department of Environmental and Plant Biology offers "pipeline" plant biology internships with host institutions around the United States, especially for upper-level plant biology majors and minors interested in gaining a comprehensive career experience.
- Majors with an internship on their resume dramatically increase their marketability. ?Several host institutions were insistent on this!? says internship coordinator Dr. Harvey Ballard.
- An internship involves different activities and duties in a career. It gives breadth of experience, from many different angles.
- Internships are critical for ?terminal degree? majors going directly into careers, and they also are valuable and rewarding for others going to graduate school.