About the College of Arts & Sciences
Committed to Online Programs to Meet Student Need
The same College of Arts & Sciences faculty who teach its on-campus programs also teach its rapidly growing online programs, including the university's first fully online undergraduate degree (in Psychology), five master's degrees and four graduate certificates.
Nationally Recognized People and Programs
- A Nobel Prize-winning alum
- Experiments with NASA
- A professor quoted almost daily
- Editors of peer-reviewed journals
- Award-winning authors
- Experts on the development of the universe, the evolution of the Earth, the history of the modern world, and developmental issues confronting 21st century society
Ohio University is a high-activity research institution, and much of that scholarship and research activity originates in the College of Arts & Sciences. As higher education measures scholarship, the college’s faculty measure up:
- Hundreds of peer-reviewed journal articles
- Dozens of scholarly and creative books
- Millions of dollars in funding from federal and state agencies and foundations
- Ph.D. programs in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities
And something you don’t see very often at a research university:
- Hundreds of undergraduate students working in labs and in the field, co-publishing with faculty, and creating original work
About the College
The Ohio University College of Arts & Sciences prepares students for successful lives by advancing their personal and intellectual growth through a 21st century liberal arts education.
The college's breadth covers
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
The College of Arts & Sciences is central to Ohio University's transformative learning experience. The foundational instruction for the entire university, delivered through the general education and liberal arts curriculum, is provided by the College of Arts & Sciences. The college provides the primary instruction for approximately one-third of the undergraduate majors on campus, as well as half of the undergraduate credit hours on the Athens campus. In addition, the college offers a number of master's programs, and eight departments offer doctoral degrees. A&S faculty are at the heart of Ohio University's research activity.