A&S Pre-Health Advising Center & Programs
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
About the Pre-Health Advising Center
Ohio University's Pre-Health Advising Center is for students interested in healthcare professions.
The Pre-Health Advising Center for students—located in Irvine Hall Room 111—offers individualized assistance and advice for Ohio University students and alumni interested in the health professions, including Dentistry, Medicine, Optometry, Physical Therapy, Veterinary Medicine and other allied health professions.
Adviser: Current students should meet with the Pre-Health Adviser, Ann LaComb, to discuss their professional goals, explore options and discover how the center can serve them throughout their college careers.
Appointments: Walk-in appointment availability varies by semester. Scheduled appointments can be made by contacting LaComb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-593-0431. Prospective students are encouraged to review these web pages and contact the A&S Office of Undergraduate Admissions for information and/or to arrange a visit to campus.
To be successful in the health-care field requires strong academic performance and admissions exam scores. Beyond that, it will require personal development and a full understanding of the expectations of the student's field of interest.
- Information on preparing for professional school
- Supplemental academic advising
- Applicant workshops
- Preparation for standardized tests (MCAT, DAT, OAT, GRE)
- Assistance with identifying beneficial opportunities, scholarship, and timelines
- Techniques for creating a well written personal statement for the professional school application
- Interviewing tips and mock interviews
- Coordination of letters of recommendation
- Earn an overall and science GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Learn about the admissions test for professional school.
- Get to know your faculty! You will need two to three letters of recommendation when applying.
- Get clinical experience in your field of medicine.
- Shadow professionals.
- Get involved! Volunteer, join student clubs, take on leadership roles during college.
- Consider gaining research experience.
- Read to strengthen comprehension skills for undergraduate work and beyond.
Students who are Pre-Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Optometry or Pre-Veterinary medicine, and who will be juniors or seniors, may apply each spring for departmental pre-professional scholarships and awards. Selection is based upon factors such as superior academic performance, motivation, personal qualities, and need. We strongly urge qualified students to apply for these prestigious scholarships.
Applications for the upcoming year will be available in January from the Pre-Health Advising Center, 111 Irvine Hall.