Research Mentor Resources
Responsibilities of a Research Mentor
Faculty mentors are expected to:
- Ensure that all Ohio University and Heritage College research policies and procedures are followed.
- Be committed to the mentoring of the student and to the education and training of the student as a future member of the scientific community.
- Help to plan and direct the student’s project, set reasonable and attainable goals and establish a timeline for completion of the project or the student’s role in the project.
- Be committed to meeting one-on-one with the student on a regular basis.
- Provide for every student an environment that is intellectually stimulating, emotionally supportive, safe and free of harassment.
- Be committed to providing resources for the student for them to conduct research.
- Require the student to share common research team responsibilities and utilize resources carefully and frugally.
- Discuss authorship policies regarding papers with the student.
- Acknowledge the student’s scientific contributions to the research and work with the student to publish their work in a timely manner.
- Discuss intellectual property issues with the student regarding disclosure, patent rights and publishing research discoveries.
- Encourage the student to attend scientific/professional meetings and try to secure and facilitate funding for such activities.
- Help the student prepare an abstract and poster representing their research results performed under your supervision.
- Require the student to exhibit professional behavior and conduct research in keeping with the principles and guidelines of professionalism as described in the Heritage College Code of Professional Standards.
OMS Research and Scholarly Activity Policy and Project Registration
Heritage College Policy 7.11 requires that all medical students follow all Ohio University and Heritage College research policies and procedures, including registering their research and scholarly activities with the Office of Research and Grants through Salesforce prior to beginning the project. Helpful information and instructions can be found on the Research Activity Registration webpage. Please read the policy carefully to ensure that all requirements are met prior to engaging in research or scholarly activity.
Medical Student Research Resources
This website provides helpful information for medical students including research opportunities, funding opportunities, training and research compliance requirements, a research guide and information regarding case reports.
Post a Student Research Opportunity
Faculty members can submit research opportunities for which they are willing to accept medical students. This information will be posted on the Medical Student Research Website.