Geological Sciences Facilities
Rock sample preparation laboratory
Crushing and powdering equipment
- Morse Jaw Crusher: coarse crushing rock down to gravel particle size
- Bico UA pulverizer: crushing and disaggregating rock to sand particle size
- Angstrom model TE250 ring pulverizer: WC grinding containers are used for powdering samples in preparation for XRD and XRF analysis.
- Hilquist large slab saw Model RF 20-24
- Hilquist medium slab saw Model RF 14-16
- Hilquist Trim Saw Model SF-8
Thin sectioning equipment
- Hilquist thin sectioning machine and plate grinder. Used to prepare thin sections of rock for petrographic analysis.
Petrology & Geochemistry Laboratory
- Rigaku Supermini200 - benchtop WD-XRF for elemental analysis of solid, powder, or liquid sample
- XRF Scientific Phoenix gas fusion machine allows automated preparation of fused glass beads for XRF analysis