Geological Sciences Giving Opportunities
Geological Sciences faculty are committed to highly effective teaching as well as to the quality of the scientific research that characterizes the department. Faculty educate students to be well-prepared geologists who can help to solve problems related to energy, resources and the environment during this important phase of human history.
The department is enriched in a variety of ways through the power of charitable giving, including student scholarships, student and faculty research support, and travel funds for students and faculty.
Please consider giving to the Geological Sciences Department's general fund. The department's no. 1 priority, this fund is pivotal in providing immediate support with maximum flexibility to respond to emerging needs.
If you would like to explore other giving opportunities within the department, please review the options below. Thank you very much for your support.
Endowed Scholarships for Students
Contributions to these endowed scholarships directly support undergraduate and graduate students. Please indicate "endowment" on your contribution if you wish to contribute to the invested funds, allowing for a greater impact to sustain the scholarship.
- Travis C. Middleman Scholarship – scholarship for full-time junior or senior geology students with a minimum 3.3 GPA
- Maurice and Betty Warner Scholarship – scholarship for undergraduate students with a minimum 3.4 GPA
- Mary W. Stoertz Scholarship – scholarship for environmental undergraduate and graduate students
- Ying-Chien Chang Graduate Scholarship in the Department of Geological Sciences – scholarship for graduate students with a minimum 3.4 overall GPA and 3.8 GPA in Geological Sciences
- Elizabeth Llewelyn Robe Memorial Scholarship – scholarship for undergraduate geology and geography students based on academic merit
Research and Conference Funding
Assist Geological Sciences faculty and undergraduate and graduate students with research-related expenses as well as provide travel funds to present at national and international conferences.
- Department of Geological Sciences Endowment
- Myron T. & Carolyn W. Sturgeon Endowment
- Myron T. Sturgeon Geological Sciences Endowment
- Myron T. Sturgeon Honor Endowment Fund
- George G. Abraham General Geology Fund
- Fisher-Phelps Faculty Excellence Endowment
- Dr. Moid Ahmad Hydrologic and Environmental Studies Endowment
Support Field Geology
These established funds directly support the continuation of Field Geology either through direct expenses or scholarships to enrolled students.
- Yeats-Smith-Nance Geology Field Camp Endowment
- Mr. and Mrs. Carol and Glennie Pavlin Geosciences Endowment
A fundamental goal of the Geological Sciences Department is to educate, prepare, and inspire students to become successful geologists. There are many non-financial ways alumni and friends can support this goal. Please contact the department to discuss donating your time.
- Participate in the Alumni Advisory Board.
- Offer an internship.
- Mentor undergraduate or graduate students.
For more information about giving to Geological Sciences, contact:
Senior Director of Development, Major Giving
Wilson Hall 306