Geological Sciences Alumni Symposium
All Geological Sciences alumni are invited to return to campus March 29-30, 2019, to interact with students and faculty and attend informal talks and discussions.
The Geological Sciences Department and the Geological Sciences Alumni Advisory Board present a symposium discussing "Megatrends in Geosciences" on Friday, March 29, and Saturday, March 30.
The 2019 Geological Sciences Alumni Symposium is March 29-30, 2019, on the Athens Campus. Registration is free and open to all alumni and current students of the Geological Sciences Department.
The weekend kicks off with a field trip to the Leo Petroglyph site in Jackson, Ohio, followed by a Welcome Reception that provides a chance to network with current students, faculty and alumni.
Saturday’s symposium will feature talks by Geological Sciences faculty, students, and alumni with a keynote provided by Dr. David Applegate , Associate Director for Natural Hazards at the U.S. Geological Survey, as well as an award luncheon, and a student poster session.
Contact Cheri Sheets with questions.
March 29, 2019
Friday, March 29 – Symposium Opening
11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Leo Petroglyph site in Jackson, Ohio (optional field trip)
- Gregory Nadon, Geological Sciences Associate Professor
- Meet at the Ohio University Inn lobby at 11:30 a.m.
- Transportation and a boxed lunch will be provided.
6 to 9 p.m. – Welcome & Networking Reception
- Ohio University Inn & Conference Center, Cutler Ballroom, 331 Richland Ave., Athens
- Cocktails and appetizers provided for all symposium guests.
March 30, 2019
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. – The alumni symposium will consist of talks from faculty, current students and alumni, an award luncheon, and a student poster session
- Margaret M. Walter Hall, Room 145
- Keynote Address – The Role of Geosciences in Building Resilience to Natural Hazards and the Not-So-Natural Disasters They Cause, by David Applegate, Associate Director for Natural Hazards, U.S. Geological Society
Watch for more information about the Alumni Symposium. Contact Cheri Sheets with questions.
- Ohio University Inn & Conference Center, 331 Richland Ave., Athens, OH 45701
- The Geological Sciences Alumni Advisory Board has secured a block of rooms at the Ohio University Inn. Please inform them you are participating in the Alumni Symposium in order to be booked under this arrangement.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Athens, 555 E. State St., Athens, OH 45701
- Hampton Inn Athens, 986 E. State St., Athens, OH 45701
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Athens, 924 E. State St., Athens, OH 45701
- Baymont Inn & Suites Athens, 20 Home St., Athens, OH 45701
- Super 8 Athens, 2091 E. State St., Athens, OH 45701
If you are flying into the John Glenn International Airport, there are two options to reach Athens:
- Rental car companies that operate out of John Glenn International Airport
- GoBus, a transit bus system with two pick-up and drop-off locations in Athens, tickets are typically $10 each way
Parking is suggested at the Margaret M. Walter Hall lot #134. You can find handicapped spaces along the building entrance. Please be careful to avoid those parking spaces designated for WellWorks permit holders, or the metered spaces (unless you are willing to feed the meter throughout the day).
Alternate parking can be found at the Walter Fieldhouse lot #133 (the lot extends between the Fieldhouse and Peden Stadium) or the Peden Stadium lot #132, both of which are across the street from Margaret M. Walter Hall.