Biological Sciences Graduate Admissions
Note: The GRE is waived for 2022 admissions.
All graduate applications must be submitted electronically through the Graduate College.
- Undergraduate Degree, with undergraduate courses in calculus, organic chemistry, physics, and courses in biology equivalent to those required by Ohio University's undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences.
- GPA of 3.2 or better in most recent degree program.
- (Waived for 2022 admissions.) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) required with score of 50 percent or better in all three portions of the GRE. The code for Ohio University is 1593.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose. Provide a statement of why the student wants to pursue a graduate degree, an indication of the section the student wishes to join, a list of three program faculty the student is interested in as advisers, and at least one program faculty who is interested in serving as the student's interim adviser. See Guide to Choosing a Faculty Adviser
- English Proficiency. International students whose native language is not English also must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic). To be considered official, test scores must be reported directly from the testing agency to Ohio University. A TOEFL-iBT of 90 is required, along with written documentation of English speaking ability from a faculty who has spoken with the applicant by telephone or in person. More information on English Proficiency.
Students are admitted on annual cycle. Applications must be received by January 8 for students to enter the program in fall of that year.
Applications for admission must be received by the Biological Sciences Department by Jan. 8 to be considered for both admission and funding for fall semester of the following academic year. All admissions are based on a hierarchal ranking of students and, if the student requires financial aid, on the availability of funding. Application materials should be sent well in advance of the due date. Decisions regarding admissions will be made by the Graduate Committee by March 1.