Careers & Internships in Biological Sciences
- Explore Handshake for internships, jobs, or volunteer opportunities. This system is free to Ohio University students.
- Are internships required?
- Undergraduate research opportunities
- What jobs have graduates been recently accepted to?
- What resources does the department have to help students interested in professional schools?
- What resources help students network with peers and alumni?
What Kinds of Careers Can Biology Lead To?
There are lots of careers that you could pursue using a Biology degree. Check the Career Network website (CLDC) and click on "what can I do with this major?" You can also explore careers and jobs by scheduling a career coaching appointment with the Career Network. Check the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Handbook for more latest data on occupations and median pay scale.
Individualized Career Coaching for Arts & Sciences Students
College of Arts & Sciences students can take advantage of individualized career coaching, with many resources to help them prepare for successful lives. Students with liberal arts degrees are highly sought after because they are educated to think critically and become problem solvers for 21st century issues.
- Make an appointment with OHIO's Career Network by logging into Handshake!
What Resources Can Help Students Interested in Professional Schools?
Pre-Health Advising Center
Information about preparing for health professions and admission to graduate schools:
- Pre-Physical Therapy
What Resources Help Students Network with Peers and Alumni?
Students can connect with their upper classmen through the Biological Advising Resource Room (BARR). We have amazing student organizations with faculty mentors. This is a great place to network with other students with the same interest and career focus.
Student organizations will have regular meetings where there will be guest speakers joining in to provide more information on the careers and how to be well prepared for a graduate program or potential job opportunities. In addition, you can connect with our alumni through the Bobcat network for additional professional development opportunities.
Recent Jobs for OHIO Biology Graduates
These are just some of the jobs and graduate schools OHIO students have placed into recently, listed by major.
- Research Associate at Nationwide Children’s Research Institute
- Quality Control Specialist at Battelle
- Pediatric Genetic Counselor
- Food Scientist at Abbott Nutrition in Columbus, OH
- Medical Diagnostics at Quidel
Wildlife and Conservation Biology:
- Wildlife Biologist at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park in Michigan
- Researcher at Yellowstone National Park
- Wildlife Ecology Technician at the Wilds in Ohio
- Conservation Specialist at the American Bird Conservancy
- Park Guide at Katmai National Park and Preserve in Alaska
- Stream Technician at the U.S. Forest Service
- Research Scientist for NIH (National Institute of Health)
- Research Scientist at Battelle
- Microbiologist at Nestle
- Medical Laboratory Scientist at Summa Health in Akron, OH
- Pathologist’s Assistant in Columbus, OH
- Epidemiologist at the Ohio Department of Health
- Case Western Reserve University
- Cleveland Clinic
- The Ohio State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- Ohio University
- Michigan State University
- Mount Carmel
- Fairfield Medical Center
- Columbia University
- Boston University
- University of Cincinnati
Marine, Freshwater and Environmental Biology:
- Naturalist at Pacific Whale Foundation in Maui, Hawaii
- Marine Biologist at North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries
- Environmental Education Specialist at BrightPath Active Learning in Westerville, OH
- Aquatic Biologist at the Midwest Biodiversity Institute in Columbus, OH
Cell and Molecular Biology:
- DNA Analyst for the Maine State Police
- Researcher for NIH (National Institute of Health)
- Senior Scientist for Global Programs
- Molecular Cancer Biologist at the University of Notre Dame
- Senior Scientist for Procter and Gamble
- Ohio University
- Ohio State University
- University of Dayton
- University of Cincinnati
- Marshall University
- Cleveland State
- Nationwide and Cincinnati Children’s hospitals
- Students in this major also work in sports medicine, as professor at universities, and open their own practices.
- Aquatic Biologist at the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission at Ohio Metro Parks
- Resource Manager at Columbus Metro Parks
- Research Assistant at the Desert Tortoise Center
- Environmental Specialist with ODOT (Ohio Department of Transportation)
- Recovery Specialist at Lions VisionGift
- Clinical Staff Supervisor at Retina North West, Mental Health Case Manager at North Central Mental Health Services in Columbus, OH
- and Clinical Research Coordinator at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and Cleveland Clinic