Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA)
This act governs the release of and access to education records maintained by Ohio University. This website is designed to help you better understand FERPA and the rights of students and parents with respect to students' education records.
FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:
- The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.
- The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights.
- The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right of nondisclosure of designated directory/public information.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Ohio University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
There are several forms related to FERPA available on our Forms page.
See the Ohio University Student Records policy 12.020 for additional information.
Office of the University Registrar
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701-2979