Order your CeDiploma (Spring 2016 graduates or after)
The graduation division of the Office of the University Registrar works closely with the college offices to coordinate the conferral and denial of degrees. In addition, the division prepares the student information used when printing the commencement program and handles new and replacement diplomas.
Graduation is not automatic. To graduate, all students (undergraduate, graduate, and medical) must apply no later than the graduation application deadline for the term in which graduation is planned (see below).
Students that have requested confidentiality of their educational records must release the confidentiality hold in order to be included in the commencement program.
If you need assistance, contact Registrar Services, first floor, Chubb Hall, or your regional campus student services office.
The application for graduation is now CLOSED. The deadline to apply for SUMMER graduation was Monday, July 15, 2019, for all degrees.
Ohio University holds several commencement ceremonies:
- Commencement for Summer Semester 2018-19 and Fall Semester 2019-20 undergraduate and graduate students will be held Saturday, December 14, 2019.
- Commencement for Spring Semester 2019-20 graduate students will be held Friday, May 1, 2020.
- Commencement for Spring Semester 2019-20 undergraduate students will be held Saturday, May 2, 2020
- Commencement for Spring Semester 2019-20 Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine will be held Saturday, May 9, 2020.
GRADUATION APPLICATION FEE*
For all degrees... $50.00**
Reapplication - any degree... $5.00
*fees are subject to change
**not applicable for associate and baccalaureate students in The OHIO Guarantee
***Degrees will be posted to student records four weeks after the degree granting date posted below
|Application Deadlines (apply by)||Degree Granting Dates (wish to receive your degree)|
|July 15, 2019||Summer Semester 2018-19, August 17, 2019***|
|September 30, 2019||Fall Semester 2019-20, December 14, 2019***|
|February 17, 2020||Spring Semester 2019-20, May 1, 2020***
Spring Semester 2019-20, May 2, 2020***
Spring Semester 2019-20, May 9, 2020
(Annual Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine Commencement)
|July 13, 2020||Summer Semester 2019-20, August 15, 2020***|
- Graduation Application
GRADUATION IS NOT AUTOMATIC. To graduate, apply no later than the published graduation deadline. The graduation application, for all degrees, is available beginning on the first day of the term, in your My Ohio Student Center.
The name that appears in University records will be printed on the diploma. When applying, the student must indicate the major(s), minor(s), and certificate(s) that he/she intends to complete. If you need assistance, contact Registrar Services or your regional campus student services.
How To Apply:
- Sign in to My OHIO Student Center
- Click on "other academic..."
- Choose "Apply for Graduation OHIO."
- You will be taken to the graduation application.
- Respond to the questions and complete the fields in the application. Click "Save and continue" to progress through the application. Your application is not complete until you have clicked "Complete Application" on the page that summarizes all of your application details. This will finalize your application and you will not be able to make any changes after this step.
- Within the application you may optionally "Save" your application prior to completing it. For example, if you don’t have time to complete it at once or need to gather information prior to finalizing you can log out after you have clicked one of the "Save and continue" buttons. Your application will be saved and you will be able to log on before the deadline to complete the other items and finalize your application by clicking "Complete Application." If you have initiated but not completed the application process, you will receive an email a few days before the application deadline reminding you to finalize your application. If you don’t finalize your application by clicking "Complete Application," you will not be considered for graduation, your name will not appear in the commencement program, and your account will not be assessed a graduation application fee.
- You will receive an email with a confirmation number for your application for graduation. If you do not have a confirmation number then your graduation application has not been submitted. Once you complete the application, any changes must be made by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling 740.593.4196.
- Application Review
After the application deadline, a list of candidates is sent to each college. Colleges review and verify the candidate information provided, including college, degree, major(s), and minor(s).
- Graduation Requirement Verification
Colleges receive a degree audit report (DARS) for the candidates and verify the completion of degree requirements within the college. Academic departments may also be involved in the verification process. Degree requirement questions from candidates should be directed to the appropriate college office representative. Colleges notify candidates of any degree requirement issues that may result in the denial of their degree for that particular semester.
- Final Graduation Approval/Denial
Two weeks after the close of the term, a candidate list and updated DARS reports are sent to the college for a final review of degree requirements. The colleges confer or deny each degree and notify the Office of the University Registrar. Students who are denied graduation must re-apply by the posted deadline for the term in which they will complete their requirements.
International students should visit the Office of International Student and Faculty Services (Walter International Education Center) to complete a departure notification form. Take a copy of your graduation application with you.
Degree-bearing transcripts will not be available until four to six weeks after graduation. A copy of your transcript will not be mailed with your diploma, but transcripts may be ordered online, in person, by fax, or through the mail. If you wish your transcript(s) to indicate your recently conferred degree, you must specifically indicate this on your request. Please note, same day transcripts process immediately and may not include grades or degrees. Transcripts will not be mailed for students with financial or other obligations to the University. If you have questions concerning your transcript, please contact the Office of the University Registrar, 740.593.4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your diploma will be mailed to you approximately eight weeks after graduation to the address supplied on your graduation application. The Office of the University Registrar receives the graduation conferral/denial lists from the college offices indicating the graduation status of each candidate. Diplomas are mailed First Class. Diplomas will not be mailed for students with financial or other obligations to the University until the holds are released. Diplomas are issued by Ohio University in the following sizes: Associate's Degree 11W x 8.5H, Bachelor's and Master's Degree 14W x 11H; Doctoral and Medical 15W x 12H.
If your diploma mailing address changes or you have questions concerning your diploma, please contact the Graduation Department, 740.593.4196 or email@example.com.
If you receive a bachelor's degree and you graduate with an accumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.500 to 3.749, your accomplishment will be recognized by the notation "Cum Laude" on your diploma and transcript; if your GPA is 3.750 to 3.899, the honor is "Magna Cum Laude"; and if your GPA is 3.900 to 4.000, the honor is "Summa Cum Laude." To be eligible for honors, you must complete a minimum of 48 quarter hours/30 semester hours of coursework with letter grades that affect your GPA in residence at Ohio University. The honors printed in the commencement program are tentative, based on the most recent GPA prior to the final semester. Final honors will be determined after grades are processed.
COMMENCEMENT - CAP AND GOWN INFORMATION
Ohio University Event Services emails commencement ceremony information to all graduation applicants to announce which ceremony to attend, based on the student's college. Students who apply for graduation are listed as "Candidates for Degrees" in the commencement program since final approval of the degree is completed after the close of the semester. Students that have requested confidentiality of their educational records must release the confidentiality hold in order to be included in the commencement program.
Information about the commencement ceremony and cap and gown sales is available at the commencement website. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office of Event Services at 740.593.4020.
Graduation announcements are available through Ohio University Printing Services.
The local bookstores also have graduation announcements and diploma frames available for purchase.
Receptions are held by each college for those students participating in the annual commencement. The locations and dates of the receptions are determined by each college. Please contact your college for details.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding graduation.
Replacement Diploma information
Office of the University Registrar
Chubb Hall 118
1 Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701