PHWC Incoming Student Curriculum Manual
- To request an absence of any kind, for any mandatory activity, please complete the absence form via the Salesforce Student Portal. You can access the absence form link in eMedley under Reference Documents. Instructions to submit an absence request can be found in the student manual.
- If you will be missing multiple mandatory activities, you must submit an absence request per day missed.
- It is expected that you will complete this form as early as possible before the missed activity (for a complete list of approved absences, please refer to the Pathways to Health and Wellness Attendance Policy). All excused absences require documentation.
- Please note: You need to submit requests for conferences 30 days prior to the requested absence and 5 days prior to a religious observance or jury duty.
- All required textbooks are listed on the Heritage College booklist. However, it is recommended that you do not purchase textbooks until you have had a chance to review them.
- Disciplines are used in Leo and tagged to exam questions to give a very general idea of the discipline covered in the learning activity or on the exam question.
- Your first term as a Year I medical student will present you with opportunities to expand your knowledge base in a variety of educational environments, including both clinical and classroom settings. To maximize these learning experiences, we ask that you purchase the medical and laboratory equipment. Please also review the most current dress code expectations.
The Curriculum Office facilitates the taking and reviewing of exams.
- Students will follow the exam procedures listed on the Medical Education Policy and Procedures page.
- Students will adhere to the Professionalism Code.
- Students will sit in the same assigned seat all year. The seating chart will be emailed to you prior to the first exam.
- Students should be prepared for computer-based exams, paying special attention to the computer requirements.
- Students will follow the exam review policies listed on the Medical Education Policy and Procedures page.
- These forms are used by student groups for scheduling non-curricular events. Using the forms ensures that events do not conflict with curriculum or other college events, that the appropriate room is available, and that other event details are taken care of. Please note: Requests need to be made at least one week prior to the event.
- For many Heritage College learning activities, the classes are broken into groups of varying sizes.
- Many activities are broken down into smaller student groups. You will see on the academic calendar what group(s) are required to attend a given session. Group assignments can be found in Leo. Choose your profile, then click the word “groups.” This will tell you what groups you have been assigned. Students are not permitted to “trade” group assignments. Special requests for group changes will be considered only for health or child care issues.
- The Academic Affairs Policies and Procedures page contains policies that you may need to be familiar with at some point in the next four years. The ones most likely to affect you are the Curricular Policies and Procedures, which includes policies on the Learning Resource Center and immunizations. The PHWC Year 1 policies will provide important information about emergency cancellations and assessment information.
- The general dress codes are a little different on each campus, so please take a look at the appropriate one for you. Individual activities that require a specific dress code will be noted in the session special requirements. Details on the specific dress codes are found in the syllabi. More information regarding the dress code can be found on the following document below the equipment list.
- The Heritage College Office of Student Affairs is the place to go for course registration, financial aid, health insurance, Student Government Association (SGA) and much more.
- Syllabi provide information on instructors of record, attendance requirements, grade breakdown, etc.
- Please use this form, rather than contacting faculty or administrators directly. This not only ensures your requests are processed correctly, but also that your requests do not get waylaid if one individual is unavailable.