Scholarships & Financial Support for Graduate Linguistics Students
- Conditions for Departmental Support
- Graduate College Financial Support Information
- Graduate Scholarships Available for 2023-24
- Ohio University Tuition and Fee Schedules
The Linguistics Department has financial support awards available to M.A. in Applied Linguistics students in the form of Tuition Scholarships and Teaching Assistantships. Such support is awarded on a competitive basis. International students are eligible if they can demonstrate sufficient English proficiency to perform the duties that go along with the support. Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 to remain eligible for financial support.
Students admitted into the M.A. in Applied Linguistics program may apply for the following types of financial aid:
- Graduate Recruitment Scholarship – The GRS award includes a partial tuition scholarship (waiver of most of the Instructional Fee and all of the Non-resident Surcharge) and a small stipend sufficient to cover the remainder of tuition. A GRS recipient is required to work 5 hours per week assisting faculty or staff with their research and administrative duties.
- Teaching Assistantship – A TA award comes with a full tuition scholarship (waiver of the General Fee and Non-resident Surcharge) and a stipend of approximately $6,500 per semester. A teaching assistant is required to work 15 hours per week, including the time spent outside class. This type of financial aid is reserved for those who can work in the four semesters of their degree study. The courses assigned are undergraduate linguistics, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Swahili. To teach undergraduate linguistics, a candidate must already have a master’s degree;
- International students may find teaching assistantships in Southeast Asian and African language courses. For more information, please contact the Center for International Studies.
Applicants interested in financial aid are strongly advised to submit their application materials by March 31 because the assessment of submitted materials could take a couple of weeks, and the offering of financial aid starts in late March. There is no deadline for applying for Fall admission, but the chances for financial aid will decrease rapidly after March. The department admits approximately 15 students each Fall. Students who begin their study in Spring or Summer can apply for the following academic year’s financial aid.
For more information about graduate studies at Ohio University, including applications for admission and financial aid, refer to the Graduate College. The Graduate College maintains general information on Tuition and Fees, including the total estimated expenses for international students.
The Linguistics Department expects the following financial aid positions to be available for the academic year 2023-24. Recipients must be accepted into the M.A. in Applied Linguistics program to receive these scholarships.
Foreign Language Teaching Assistants
Full tuition waiver for fall and spring semesters with $6,500 stipend per semester.
- Linguistics - 1 position
- Arabic – 2~3 position
- Chinese - 1 position
- Japanese - 1 positions
- Swahili – 2~3 position
Description: Teaching Assistants teach introductory linguistics contents or communicative foreign language skills to undergraduate students. They are expected to work 15 hours each week.
- Teach one foreign language class three times a week.
- Prepare for class, assign and grade homework, make and grade quizzes and exams, and give final course grades.
- Help students out of class, including, but not limited to, during two office hours each week.
- Organize cultural functions for language students in association with international student organizations on campus.
- Participate in the respective language program’s weekly curricular meetings.
- Accepted into the M.A. in Applied Linguistics program
- Native or near-native speaker language proficiency
- Previous language teaching experience especially at the university level preferred.
For full consideration, an application should be complete by March 1 for admission in the following fall semester.