Securing Remote Work
In accordance with Policy 40.063 Flexible Work Schedule, Flexible Hours, and Flexplace for Administrators, Flexible Work Schedule, working remote requires several safeguards to help protect University information. Below is a checklist designed to help you get started in a remote working environment.
Secure Your Computer, Smartphone, and More
- Set a PIN, passcode, or biometric for access to your devices.
- Secure your OHIO account by enabling Multi-Factor Authentication for all eligible services.
- Keep your software up to date.
- If you are using a personal device, be sure to secure your personal computer.
- If utilizing a smartphone, refer to Smartphone Security.
- For more ideas, check out Secure Computing.
Secure Your Connections
- Determine what resources you need that require VPN access, then set up your connection to the OHIO Campus VPN.
- Set a unique password for your home WiFi network.
- On the web, look for HTTPS at the beginning of the URL. It means the connection is encrypted.
- For more information, check out Securing Home Network.
Secure Your Videoconferencing
- Choose settings that respect privacy and prevent unwanted guests when you set up videoconferencing, meetings, or events.
- Check out Securing Virtual Meetings for more information.
Beware of Phishing, Scams, and Fraud
- Check the URL before you click links in emails:
- On a computer, hover over the link with your mouse
- On a smartphone or tablet, press the link and hold down.
- Do not open unsolicited or unexpected shared documents and email attachments.
- Be aware of unexpected messages that convey urgency. These are common signs of phishing emails.
- Watch for coronavirus scams.
- Check out the Phish Bowl to see the latest, high-impact phishing messages being sent to the University community.
Protect Sensitive Data
- Store sensitive OHIO data only in approved storage locations. Check the Sensitive Data Storage Guide.
- Be sure to provision and de-provision access accordingly within One Drive, SharePoint, and Teams.
International and Travel Considerations
- Connecting from abroad? Be aware that some OHIO resources are not available outside the US. Check with your supervisor before working remote internationally.
- For additional recommendations, check out IT Security While Traveling.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
- Cover your computer's webcam when not needed.
- Lock your screen or close your laptop when you are away from it.
- Protect sensitive paper documents from individuals you are sharing your workspace with. For more information, check out Physical Security.
Even if you're working remotely, OIT is here to support you. If you need help, contact the IT Service Desk for assistance.
If you are unable to meet the security requirements listed above for remote work, talk with your supervisor for guidance before working remotely. Remember, you are responsible for following University policies, good security practices, and ensuring the security of University information. Not adhering to these requirements puts you and the University at risk, and may result in a compromise of University information.