Social Security Numbers
Definition: Nine-digit numbers issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents for taxation, Social Security benefits, and other purposes.
Governing Authority: Ohio University Information Security Policy (91.005), Ohio Breach Notification Law
Responsible Operating Unit: Legal Affairs
Special Considerations: While social security numbers are a type of PII, the legal requirements for protecting them are much more stringent than for other PII types.
Acceptable IT Services & Tools:
- None without consultation.
- Qualtrics - With OIT consultation.
- OnBase - With OIT consultation.
- OneDrive/O365 Groups - Only with OIT consultation and Group setup according to the Storing Sensitive Data within OneDrive Standard.
- NAS departmental shared storage (shared.ohio.edu) - With OIT consultation to ensure data is encrypted.
- NAS individual home storage (home.ohio.edu) - With OIT consultation to ensure data is encrypted.
Not Permitted IT Services & Tools:
- OneDrive/O365 individual accounts
- Personal cloud accounts
- Personal/Non-University owned devices
If you don't see the IT service or tool listed that you wish to use to store data classified as medium or high sensitivity, contact Information Security to determine if it's appropriate for your data type.