Teacher Education Majors and Programs
|Statement on the Overuse and Misuse of Standardized Testing|
Bachelor of Science in Education (BSEd)
Teacher Education offers BSEd degrees that lead to a teaching license in the following areas:
- Early Childhood and Elementary Education: for preschool (age 3) through grade 5
- Middle Childhood: for grades 4-9 in two content areas (language arts, math, science, and/or social studies)
- Adolescent-to-Young Adult: for grades 7-12 in one content area (language arts, math, science, or social studies)
- Intervention Specialists (Special Education): for working with students with mild-to-moderate (MM) or moderate-to-intensive (MI) educational needs in kindergarten through grade 12
- Spanish Education: for preschool through grade 12
CARE (Creative, Active and Reflective Educators) is a partnership for Middle Childhood, Adolescent-to-Young Adult, and Multi-Age majors, and begins in the fall of sophomore year. Students travel together as a cohort through the CARE course of study, working immediately and continuously in Partnership Schools.
The Patton College’s innovative and progressive HOPE program prepares pre-service teachers to incorporate culturally relevant pedagogy into their own teaching styles. Using theoretical constructs from Hip-Hop Based Education (HHBE), the program teaches the value of hip-hop based education, culturally relevant pedagogy, and relational pedagogy. Students will learn how they can use the aesthetics of hip-hop culture to build healthy and affirming relationships to facilitate learning and student engagement.
Overseas Student Teaching
The Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching (COST) program offers teacher candidates the unique opportunity to live abroad for an entire semester while completing their professional internship. The program offers students professional and personal growth in ways that are increasingly important for living and teaching in the United States.
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
Teacher Education offers an AAS degree in Child Development (program code AA1106). This degree does not lead to a teaching license.
Teaching Degrees in Other Departments
- Art Education: Complete a Bachelor's in studio art followed by a one-year Master's degree in teacher education
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Health and Physical Education
- Music Education