Logan-Hocking Middle School is comprised of grades five through eight and is a true middle school. The school is one of the largest in the area, serving over 1200 students. However, the majority of the school district is rural, and around 60% of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. Deemed Excellent by the Ohio Department of Education, the LHMS district and its teachers continuously strive for excellence in their classrooms. The fifth and sixth grade classroom use and model the Leader in Me program.
The partnership with Ohio University's Patton College of Education allows for OHIO teacher candidates to visit, observe and co-teach with the LHMS teachers and administrators. In addition, OHIO teacher candidates are able to support LHMS student learning as they work with individual learners, small groups, and large groups.
"I have been able to experience the 'nitty-gritty' of teaching that professors do not teach you in a college classroom. In addition, I have received professional development tips and advice that will make me a better teacher in the future" said Ce'Nedra Cyrus, OHIO senior in the Patton College of Education.
OHIO teacher candidates typically spend their junior-level yearlong experience in one of the LHMS classrooms, working with the same mentor teacher and getting to know the students. OHIO teacher candidates also participate and volunteer in a variety of extra-curricular activities including sports, clubs, choral music groups and band.
During each visit to an LHMS classroom, OHIO teacher candidates support all learnings by providing enrichment, evaluating student work and providing feedback, creating welcoming and engaging learning environments, working with small groups, teaching whole classes, hosting study skills sessions, and many others.
OHIO and the Patton College of Education are privileged to be part of the LHMS community. Go Chieftains! Go Bobcats!
For more information please contact:
Dr. Danielle Dani Mr. Chad Grow
Associate Professor, Ohio University Principal, Logan Hocking Middle School
Faculty Coordinator Faculty Liaison
SOUTHERN LOCAL SCHOOLS — MILLER HS/MILLCREEK ELEMENTARY
What is unique about Southern Local Schools?
- Southern Local serves over 700 students from grades PreK-12
- Inclusive classroom experiences
- Services to students with a wide variety of educational needs including:
- Multi-handicapped services
- Learning disability adaptive resources
- Enrichment opportunities for accelerated learners
- Experienced staff committed to the success of all learners
- Early intervention in the area of language and literacy
- Building classroom community, offer hands-on experiences
Opportunities for Candidates
- Work with STAR reading, conducting small group reading/writing interventions to those students struggling with early literacy concepts
- Work with STAR math, conducting small group math interventions to those students struggling with math concepts
- Conduct and analyze a variety of content area assessments in order to gather data for use by classroom teachers
- Observe, and be mentored by, experienced teachers
- Experience assisting with, and creating, a variety of classroom activities/lessons at differing grade levels
- Work with students one-on-one or in small groups and provide hands-on learning
School Contact Information
OU Partnership Teacher Liaison, District Test Coordinator
Southern Local Schools, Miller HS/Millcreek Elementary
Corning, OH 43730