LGBTQ Studies Certificate
Faculty contact: Dr. Kim Little
Certificate Code CTWGSQ
The LGBTQ Studies Certificate is an interdisciplinary program of study through which students explore historical, sociocultural, and political issues central to sexuality studies through a variety of lenses, including queer theory. Students learn to think critically about sexuality as it intersects with gender, race, class, and other socially significant categories.
Administered through the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program, the certificate offers research and internship opportunities, and students may choose from a range of course offerings across different disciplines. It is open to all Ohio University undergraduates.
Careers and Graduate School
The LGBTQ Studies Certificate prepares students to go on to professional and graduate schools in law, humanities, social sciences, social service professions, and other fields. Graduates pursue careers in both private and public sectors, including business, law, government, public interest and social service organizations, and academia.
Freshman/First-Year Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Change of Program Policy: No selective or limited admission requirements.
External Transfer Admission: No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Certificate Hours Requirement
The LGBTQ Studies certificate program requires a minimum of 18 hours.
Complete the following courses:
- WGSS 2200 - Introduction to LGBTQ Studies Credit Hours: 3.0
- WGSS 4610 - Queer Theory Credit Hours: 3.0
- WGSS 4820 - Capstone in LGBTQ Studies Credit Hours: 3.0
Complete three of the following courses:
- ENG 3260 - Lesbian and Gay Literature Credit Hours: 3.0
- ENG 3270 - Queer Rhetorics and Writing Credit Hours: 3.0
- POLS 4190 - Gay and Lesbian Politics Credit Hours: 3.0
- POLS 4210 - The Politics of Law and Sexuality Credit Hours: 3.0
- POLS 4740 - Sexuality and Queer Theories Credit Hours: 3.0
- WGSS 3200 - Sexual Revolutions Credit Hours: 3.0
- WGSS 3910 - Internship in Women's and Gender Studies Credit Hours: 3.0
- WGSS 4600 - Gender, Sexuality, and Culture Credit Hours: 3.0