There are some obvious preferences you may have already thought of, such as rent price and location, or house vs. apartment.
However, before you begin looking at rentals, you may want to have a list of "necessities". Here are just a few questions you may want to consider before signing a lease. When you call about a place, ask about your preferences before arranging to see it. Taking the time to make a list of preferences before you start your search will save you time in your search process.
- What is your price range for rent?
- Does this price include utilities?
- Do you want a roommate and how many?
- Is off-street parking available and does it cost extra?
- Are you looking for a place with central air?
- What do you want in a kitchen?
- Do you want a garbage disposal or a dishwasher?
- Do you want laundry facilities on-site, or will you be making trips to a laundromat?
- How will you be getting to campus? (car, walking, public transportation, etc.)
- Are you eligible for a commuter parking permit?