At the Clinic for Science and Health in Artistic Performance (SHAPe Clinic), injured performing artists at Ohio University can be evaluated, treated and receive health and wellness advice from licensed athletic trainers who have the specialized equipment and knowledge to care for them. The care is provided with no out-of-pocket costs to the patients, who include OHIO's dance, music, theater performance, theater production, film and Marching 110 students. In addition to the clinic, SHAPe provides on-site healthcare coverage for dance concerts, physical theater performances and Marching 110 football game performances, along with a variety of research and educational activities.
The facility is a unique collaboration between the College of Fine Arts and the School of Applied Health Sciences and Wellness. It was launched in August 2013 with the help of faculty and administrators in both colleges, along with a grant from Ohio University's 1804 Fund.
304 Putnam Hall
The clinic contains the kinds of equipment found in most athletic training facilities, including an ultrasound machine, moist heat packs and a whirlpool tub. But there's also a digital keyboard, helpful for working with pianists on pain-reducing playing techniques, and a ballet barre and mirror, useful for an athletic trainer trying to help a dancer stretch a tender hamstring.
The facility's equipment includes:
- Chattanooga electrical muscle stimulator and ultrasound
- Chattanooga transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator
- Chattanooga moist heat hydrocollator
- Whitehall extremity whirlpool
- Octane elliptical trainer
- Lafayette hand evaluation kit
- Four treatment table stations
- Orthopaedic rehabilitation equipment
- Harlequin 8x10' dance floor with barre and mirror
- Yamaha P105B 88 weighted-key digital piano
The SHAPe Clinic is currently conducting a national search for its next director and anticipates this process to complete later this year. During this transition period, CHSP’s Division of Athletic Training is available to provide supplemental athletic training services Monday-Thursday between 2 p.m. and 4:30 pm. Grover Center E193. Online scheduling is now available.
Note: The SHAPe Clinic anticipates resuming its full suite of service and treatment offerings soon after the official hire of its new director.
Emily Eckman, AT
Rebecca Marszalek, AT
Allison Williams, AT
News About the Clinic
- OHIO research calls attention to concussions in theater personnel
- Medical students join effort to improve health care of Ohio University performing arts students
- Theater and Health Science Students Partner to Save Lives
- See page 27 in Ohio Today
- Article by Jeff Russell about preventing dance injuries
- Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine article about theater concussions