We know you have a large number of expectations as a member of the Residence Life staff. So, we at the Office of Sustainability would like to provide you with a number of resources to help you easily incorporate sustainability into the work you do. Below are some initiatives created to assist RAs in their efforts to incorporate sustainability into floor programs:
- Eco Reps Floor Programs - Looking for some fun, educational dorm programs? Eco Reps can help!
- Ecohouse and Compost Tours - Plan a group outing and learn more about how sustainable OHIO is. We offer tours of the Compost Facility, the Ecohouse, or both.
- "Call to Sustain" Campaign - Here's a quick, fun activity that we can bring to your floor or hall. Students will make a pledge to be sustainable, and we'll talk about how easy it is to make a difference.
- Free Garden Plots - You or your residents can adopt a free plot at the Ecohouse garden! This is a great way to teach students about gardening and taking a hands-on-approach to learning.
- Special Events - Join us for one or more of our many residence life-focused events about sustainability!
- Free Magnets! We have fridge magnets that explain how to recycle in the residence halls. Stop by the Office of Sustainability for a supply of magnets to give to your residents. Here's what they look like:
If you are a current RA and have ideas for other ways we can support your efforts to incorporate sustainability into the residence halls, please email us at email@example.com.
Sustainability is a top priority of the university in a variety of ways.
- In 2007 President McDavis committed the university to becoming a leader in sustainability within higher education by signing the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment, which sets a goal of institutional carbon neutrality by 2075. In 2017 Former President Nellis signed the "We Are Still In" declaration in support of climate action.
- Sustainability was selected as the Common Experience Project theme through the year 2016 in an effort to engage the Ohio University community in a shared intellectual inquiry on the common theme of sustainability.
- Athens, Ohio is home to a national model for the local food movement. Local food is a key piece to the sustainability conversation at Ohio University. By engaging our students in service learning programming in the Athens region, we are exposing them to new and exciting experiences that will shape their commitment to becoming leaders within their respective communities.