Sustainability Hub Structure
Click here to read the restructuring announcement from President Nellis.
Sustainability Hubs details
The Hubs are engagement ecosystems. These engagement ecosystems are not a physical space or an academic department, but an approach to strategic initiatives. Each Hub will be led by a faculty coordinator who recognizes the advantage to approaching challenges collaboratively with input from diverse perspectives. The coordinator will foster connections between faculty, staff, students and community members who are working on sustainability initiatives that have been identified as priorities in the Ohio University Sustainability and Climate Action Plan. The Ohio University Sustainability Committee provides oversight to the Sustainability Hubs, in accordance with the charter of the Sustainability Committee.
Hub participants will be able to connect with each other and with initiatives through:
- a bi-weekly newsletter,
- a monthly seminar series,
- the Climate and Sustainability Ambassadors (a student group that encourages, promotes, supports and leads OHIO Sustainability initiatives)
- the Sustainability Project Laboratory
- the webpages for themes in the Sustainability & Climate Action Plan (see individual themes under the "Hub Themes" tab above)
- the Hub Coordinators and the Office of Sustainability staff
The Sustainable Infrastructure Hub will focus on the sustainability themes of buildings, energy, water and waste. Example initiatives are the Eco-Challenge program, LEED Lab courses, Recycle Mania or GameDay Recycling Challenge, residence hall energy and water challenges, reuse and repair fairs, ENERGY STAR Building Treasure Hunts, or any other types of energy efficiency, smart growth, building improvement, water savings, waste reduction, or renewable energy projects.
The Sustainable Living Hub will focus on the sustainability themes of food, transportation, grounds and student affairs. Example initiatives are edible gardens, student farms, reusable to go containers for dining courts, bike share programs, food composting systems, the Sustainable Living Floor, the Ohio Ecohouse, student sustainability organizations such as Eco Reps and Sustainable Investment Advisory Committee, or any other projects relating to local foods, active transportation, organic landscaping or sustainable student experiences.
The Sustainable Administration Hub will focus on the sustainability themes of procurement, investments, human resources and climate. Example initiatives are flexible work arrangements, sustainable investing, wellness programs, sustainable procurement policies, Second Nature's Carbon Commitment, We Are Still In commitment, and any other projects relating to employee well-being, local purchasing, investment strategies, diversity and inclusion, or carbon neutrality.
The Hub Coordinators will oversee and coordinate collaborative sustainability research, engagement, and curriculum efforts at Ohio University. Each of the three coordinators will directly manage one sustainability initiative within the Sustainable Infrastructure, Sustainable Living or Sustainable Administration Hubs described below, while fostering connections for other initiatives within and between Hubs. Coordinators will organize or give one presentation per semester as part of a monthly seminar series on sustainability initiatives and will report annual progress on initiatives to the University Sustainability Committee. Engagement, collaboration, and communication shall be promoted across all university locations: Athens, regional campuses, and off-campus centers. Hub Coordinator goals include:
- Launch/advance research or curriculum initiatives that support University sustainability goals, in alignment with the Presidential Strategic Pathways and Priorities.
- Engage participants in Sustainability Hub activities, including a monthly seminar series, ensuring that faculty, students, staff, and community are appropriately represented within the Hub.
- Report progress toward Hub-related OHIO Sustainability/Climate Action Plan goals and strategies as needed, including through a bi-weekly newsletter to participants.
- Contribute to Sustainability Committee meetings twice per year.
- Collaborate closely with the Office of Sustainability, other Coordinators, and Hub participants to ensure that administrative and organizational support is provided for OHIO sustainability initiatives.